hoisting 400 cc engine out of 4x4 ram on 32" tires in 30 inches of snow

Hi all you artful dodgers with creative ideas!

Do you have any suggestions you think might help -- willing to rent the available equipment of course -- sold the 400 cc but guy prefers it be pulled out and delivered and is willing to pay for it

I had been thinking of an engine hoist but it would have to stand on 3/4 plywood on top of some cement blocks -- all possible and supplies on hand except the hoist.

Any other ideas?

Also, likely to snowblow 100 feet up to the truck and drive in with 4x4 so whatever you can suggest is appreciated.

thanks in advance

rachel

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Couldn't you just ask someone to help lift it? They are a bit akward but they aren't too heavy. I lifted a few 400/440 cc Kawasaki engines by myself without any struggle. It wasn't in any snow but that shouldn't make it any heavier.

Reply to
Nosey

Can you come help pleeeeeease ;-) (just kiddin')

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Ken,

I think there's a "translation" error from Canadian English to US English . . .In an email, Rach was talking about a 400 _CU.IN._ engine. . . .about 600 lbs.

Sorry, Rach. Just trying to act as a translator fer ya'll. 400 cu in =

6554.826 C.C.
Reply to
Budd Cochran

I'd dig out all the snow and then lay the plywood down, just to keep it from sinking. Plywood on blocks would be too unstable and it would probably not hold all that weight: 600 lb / 272.1554 Kg. plus the weight of the hoist.

A auto reclaimer yard back in Indiana used a cut down engine hoist ( cherry picker) bolted to the frame of a pickup as his way of pulling engines in the yard. Now they have those in-bed hoists that lift up to 1/2 ton.

Work safe, Rach, ya gotta good kid and friends that needs ya.

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

First, you mean a 400 CID, not a motorcycle, but a big block, right?

Second, ditch the tires and drop the front axle on some 6x6 lumber, and the truck suddenly becomes normal height.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Thanks Budd :-) And no, we're in loggin' country up here but not quite that strong but I had been thinking Ken was some burrrrly guy! rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Thanks -- good idea -- I'll ask around -- with who lives up here this time of year...

Reply to
Rachel Easson

yep -- sorry -- I usually refer to them simply as a 400 but wasn't sure how to write it

thankyou -- great idea -- torch to warm up -- good, it's closest to the shed -- reef like hell and drop the front axle on some 6x6 lumber,

forest logs nearby, sawn off on top and blocked, yep can do and the

thank you Max, and Budd -- should work this way

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Just thinking some more -- only need to drop front end down, one 8 foot log, shaving flat with chain saw around where wheels go, got good hydraulic jacks of course, and if I'm warming up the bolts, I can burn off the snow too

-- got this idea while taking my shit (do my best thinking on the porcelain throne and while driving ) -- my Newfie friends have told me they clear a path in the snow to the road by lighting fire to gasoline

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

You could take it to Budds old garage and hoist it from the rafters. You have to have been around here for a while to understand this one.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

yup, finally sunk in -- yes, your idea

had 3 beer (helped the dump but not the brain )

rach

thanks Max!

Reply to
Rachel Easson

When you said it was a 400 cc engine I believed you. I thought you had a motorcycle engine in the bed of a truck and couldn't get it out. It makes sense to me now.

Reply to
Nosey
1) obtain log chain

2) rent or borrow truck

3) tow donor vehicle to warm shop

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Just think of your safety, milady, I'd hate to lose a friend.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Rachel.. Don't know if you have a "friend in the business", but when I needed the engine pulled from a truck I bought and the truck was in a ditch behind a barn, a friend with a tow truck lifted it out for me...

Personally, since the buyer will pay for pulling it, I'd try to find a couple of local teenagers that work on cars and have them do it...

Age and experience makes use of youth and enthusiasm.... Mac

mac davis

Can't do that, Greg. I drove by the place when I went with my brother to Canon City CO to get his fishing boat and it looks like, thru the window in the garage door, that he might have tried it, and the rafter fell down.

The bad part is, the car in the driveway was a Subaru . . . . . . . and a riding mower with the engine halfway off . . .

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Of course it was funny though. I don't expect you to read my mind. rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

hee hee

have chain truck avail nearest warm shop is a service garage -- plausible to tow illegally down the road for 10 miles or so because no police out here within 1 hour drive oh, and don't forget the snow blower, or backhoe if too mush for the snow blower

Even a cold shop would do.

I did have a delightful crazy idea last summer -- I was driving beside a railroad bridge which had three beautiful supports -- iron truss style about 100 wide feet each, 40 feet high. Nick those, drag them behind the truck about two hours down the road, and securely erect them on my property and put a couple of huge canvas tarps over them in the Fall -- I'd never need to clear the yard again, and I'd have a hangar for a garage with a built in beam to chain anything onto

seriously though, looks like we'll go with items 1 and 2 and wear warm clothing

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson