1999 Ram 1500...lots of problems!!

I?m ready to take my hubby?s truck to the dump!! He is currently deployed and I am left to take care of this truck. The ABS light is on, the brake light is on, and now the speedometer is going crazy!! Can any of you guys/gals give me insight on what may be the problem? Do I need to take it somewhere to have it put on the diagnostic machine? Should I just take it to the dealer and pay them too much money? Ugh...

Reply to
atcgirly

Well...they're not all going at once...if they did, that would suggest they're all on the same circuit, and failure is happening behind that. So hopefully it's not a faulty computer...

Regardless, electrical issues are pretty tough to deal with. Probably best to take it to your local Dodge dealership.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

change the rear wheel speed sensor located on top of the diff in the rear axle.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

It is either the speed sensor in the rear axle or the wiring going to it. In most cases, it is the sensor.

Reply to
TBone

Or trade it. I know this sounds cruel but Dodges can be a pill about thess kinds of problems sometimes. Each brand has its quirks and Dodge seems to have more than its fair sure of these kind when they get older sometimes. It will not be cheap to trouble shoot and repair at a dealer so hold on to your checkbook.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Good Point...I've learned this the hardway.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

Added note...

Careful to try not break it.. It is plastic it will be sticky in the hole from years of dirt. If it does break it will take a while to pull the broken piece out of the hole. needle nose pliers wil be needed.

Reply to
GeekBoy

You're such a moron. I really hope people are smart enough to not listen to you...

To the OP, there is a speed sensor that goes in the top of the rear differential that when it goes bad it'll cause all three of you problems. Have them change the connector also when they put the sensor in.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

You are SUCH a moron.... trade away a truck because a $30 sensor went bad, that takes 5 minutes to change.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Where do I start? You are such a asshole! There is no other way to say it. It is what it is. You just blow me away! As old as I am, with the tons of people I know and work with, you by far have to be one of, if not the most stupid people I have come across. Not ignorant, friggin stupid!

I suppose for one with such limited knowledge as you have shown in this and other groups/forums trading the truck would be the ONLY thing left for you to do. Surely you'd never be able to fix it.

I've one question, no, it is not about the V10. Really be truthful, are you able to feed yourself? (Shut up Rabbit.)

Hey Rabbit! when you and I get together in a few months maybe we can check out this fool. He's just down the road from ya. Hell, he should be easy to find. There has to be a huge sign in front of his house that says "STUPID LIVES HERE!"

Reply to
Roy

If there isn't a sign maybe you could put one there.

Reply to
Nosey

You do mean not listen to you and your lack of maturity right? Dodges are know for these kinda of problems and unless you have your head in the sand you would know about it. This is not about picking on a Dodge because I point out quirks with GM's and Fords too. Like GM is well known for piston slap issues on modular engines (especail some 5.3's) and intale manifold gasket issues on vortec small block engines (desingn flaw) and Ford using wrong style plugs and torque on 5.4's and 6.8's with aluminum heads that can loosen up and strip and blow out from rattling around and flame cutting. Best way to deal with it is to avoid trouble prone vehicle and model regardless of who makes then rather than pouring more money into them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

No, I'm pretty sure Denny meant that people should not listen to you and your inane drivel. I would concur with that assessment whole-heartedly.

Agreed... sort of. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they're "known for it", but it is a very common problem. One with a very simple solution, that doesn't necessitate throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

Sure - just like we all point out your quirks, errors, mis-statements, and general lack of knowledge on various subjects. We're building quite a list...

In cases of chronic problems, you may be right. But, in this case, the OP has a bad wheel speed sensor - which she can cure for less than $50. Your advice to trade the vehicle is SO over the top stupid, that I have trouble believing anyone would suggest such.... then I look at the person suggesting it, and it all makes perfect sense.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Junk yard is sounding good!! LOL

"SnoMan" wrote: > On 25 Jan 2007 20:35:59

-0800, "Yabahoobs" > > wrote: > > >Regardless, electrical issues are pretty tough to deal with. > Probably > >best to take it to your local Dodge dealership. > > Or trade it. I know this sounds cruel but Dodges can be a pill > about > thess kinds of problems sometimes. Each brand has its quirks > and Dodge > seems to have more than its fair sure of these kind when they > get > older sometimes. It will not be cheap to trouble shoot and > repair at a > dealer so hold on to your checkbook. > ----------------- > TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
atcgirly

You guys seem to know a LOT more about this stuff than I ever will. Would it be better for me to take it to the dealor or my garage guy? Your guidance is greatly appreciated! I hate to take it somewhere just to get taken to the cleaners because I am a woman.

"Tom Lawrence" wrote: > >

Or trade it. I know this sounds cruel but Dodges can be a > pill about > > thess kinds of problems sometimes. > > You are SUCH a moron.... trade away a truck because a $30 > sensor went bad, > that takes 5 minutes to change.

Reply to
atcgirly

Your garage guy. You can help him out if you pick up the part yourself. Go to your dodge dealer, and tell them you want a rear wheel speed sensor for your truck. If they ask, tell them it's the one that goes in the rear differential. It should be around $35-$40.

Take that to your local mechanic, and ask him to change it for you. He can probably do it right in the parking lot. It's literally a matter of unplugging an electrical connector, removing one bolt, pulling the old sensor out, putting the new one in, tighten the bolt, and plug the connector back in.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

If you do decide to get rid of it (I hope you don't for this problem) find out what the "auto recycler" will give you for it, then give us first shot at it. I'd bet someone here would buy it from you for more than what a junk yard would pay you. If the dash isn't cracked I'd buy that from you. ;^)

Anybody know why there are three Re:'s in the subject line? Is it a glitch in Forte Free Agent or is it operator error?

Reply to
Nosey

Reply reply reply

Reply to
Roy

Or maybe it's just the quality you get when you buy an American made vehicle anymore. They can't even figure out why they are going belly up. How many billion did ford lose the past year?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

It all started with SnoMan's post. My newsreader shows Re: three times in the subject of the message content pane, but shows it just once in the thread pane, and once in this composition window.

Reply to
General Dog