Dash light bulbs

'03 2500 CTD Laramie

One dash light bulb went out. It was behind the 70MPH area. I ordered two bulbs so I would have one spare. I replaced the dead bulb and put everything back together. Night time came, I tried it and lo and behold, a different bulb was out, this time behind the 3K RPM area. Next morning, I opened things up and checked to see if I knocked it loose, I didn't, it was burnt out. I put my spare in there.

Next night, I checked the lights again and a third bulb is now out, somewhere around 5K RPM area (not that I ever go that fast). The bulbs I pulled out had purple bases, the replacements have black bases and appear to be the same brightness.

Did the dealer give me the right bulbs? I still have the bag and the "PICK" paper but don't see which of the numbers might be the part number. I'm thinking it is 1174H8N80 BULB. I don't have the receipt any longer.

Should I replace all the bulbs in the dash one at a time, or all at once so I don't wear out the instrument panel screws? What is next, overhead interior lights? Headlights? turnsignals? running lights? Or is it just my luck?

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

With incandescent type bulbs as they burn the filaments start to not only get smaller since they are emitting small particles of themselves as they glow, but also the filaments become brittle as well. IMHO, if the bulbs have been in use for a few years since new I would replace them as a group while you've got the access to the dash opened. It doesn't take much of a shock to break or at least crack a filament in a used bulb. If cracked it will likely burn out the next time it is powered on due to the initial surge of current it gets as it warms to operating temperature anyway.

A more reliable alternative would be to find LED replacements for the type bulb that is used in your application. Initial cost is higher but you shouldn't have to replace any of these bulbs for the remaining life of the vehicle. You should be able to find compatible LED replacement bulbs in white, blue and perhaps other colors that can be used for added effect on the backlighting of the dash. regards, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy