Diesel 1/2 ton announced

Well, we're comparing two different things, so I guess I should have qualified that statement a little. My fault. They're going to introduce a light duty truck with a light duty diesel - or so the rumor goes. So I was comparing my light duty truck to the current crop of available diesels - all heavy duty with large diesel engines. So, let me (maybe more clearly) state that a big diesel doesn't make economic sense compared to a light duty gas truck in light duty use. Compared to another heavy duty truck with a V10 gas engine, you're right; I agree with you. I only do a little bit of towing, probably less than 1,500 miles a year, and less than 5,000#. But I drive 15,000 miles a year. For me to step up to a diesel would cost me about $10K in initial purchase cost, based on KBB prices. I can buy a lot of gasoline for $10K. I'm afraid to even calculate the cost of a brand new truck. YEs, a well cared for diesel should easily last 200K miles. But what about the rest of the truck? I'm not that confident.

Reply to
.boB

Hmmm.... long-time NG participant.... starts mixing up large quantities of volatile liquids... suddenly doesn't post anymore.

Uh-oh...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

First of all, if you want a real truck, why buy a 1/2 ton. A half ton won't hold shit, much less carry my groceries from the store.

BLAAA, I say "Shit on the 1/2 tons" Only stoopid pukes would consider buying one.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

The you must own a few of them

Reply to
Roy

Hmm, There was that huge explosion last year in the oil refineries of Texas City.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

I can see you don't have an opinion on this issue. According to your logic I guess the only trucks on the road should be semi's. Why buy a 3/4 ton when you could get a 1 ton? And why get a 1 ton when you could get a 1 1/2 or 2 ton. I believe there is a large market for 1/2 ton trucks with small diesels in them.

Reply to
Electrician

A couple of reasons I see for a 1/2 ton truck with a small diesel is torque and towing capacity, fuel mileage and longevity of the engine. I have a 318 Dakota which is a gas hog. I could see a small diesel in my truck getting double the mileage I currently get.

Reply to
Electrician

Name a diesel engine that puts out the same or greater power than the Hemi that gets 25mpg in a Dodge 1/2 ton size and weight vehicle and costs less than $2000 more than the Hemi. I agree, if they could do that it would sell. Nobody has even come close so far.

Reply to
miles

You are comparing a V10 3/4 ton to a Diesel 3/4 ton. The V10 guzzles gas. My 2004 Hemi Durango 4x4 averages 20mpg highway with the A/C on. Not bad for a vehicle with a base weight of 5200lbs.

Reply to
miles

Diesels there are not a huge premium to buy as they are here. Also they don't have the EPA rules against them.

Reply to
miles

Is that the one that was not a Diesel design from the ground up but rather a converted gasser? The one that resulted in class-action lawsuits when they failed rather early? Or was that a Ford product?

Reply to
miles

Why buy more of a truck than one needs? My 1/2 ton Dodge did everything I needed it for. I now have a 2004 Hemi Durango which does great. Sure I could have bought a 3/4 ton Suburban but why?

Reply to
miles

The market for 6-cyl 1/2 tons is rather small. They're often bought stripped and used by construction firms to carry a tool box etc. to construction sites. They need the bed to carry somewhat bulky but not all that heavy equipment etc.

Reply to
miles

More than the engine needs to be changed to increase tow capacity in a

1/2 ton. Especially so with the Dakota. I had a Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with the 318. It was way under powered to tow much. The 360 performed much better. The Hemi even better and higher mpg too.
Reply to
miles

Why buy a 6 cylinder 1/2 ton when you can get a 1/4 ton cheaper and get better gas mileage? I would agree the market for 6 cylinder 1/2 tons is small. But if it had a small 6 cylinder diesel in it that would be a different story.

Reply to
Electrician

I agree. I don't see the need.

Reply to
Roy

Comparing a 1/2 ton to a 1/2 ton truck, I would rather have a diesel in it vice a gasser. Hell, I have a half ton and WISH I could convert it!

Yes the outright (read initial) expense for a diesel is more, but if you look at the long run, long term pricing of it, a diesel is cheaper. I have a 25 gallon tack and at 2.05 a gallon and a 325 mile range in the city, I have to fill up at least once a week. I know a diesel would get better mileage then that. I am spending about 50 buck per oil change right now and that is doing it every 5k running full synthetic oil. Tom, do you change oil that often, I am sure the price is close? Also, though a 1/2 may not have the load capacity of a larger truck, a diesel would make more sense if you use the truck for any type of moving, hauling, traveling, etc...

BTW, also of note in the new issue of DieselPower, Cummins is playing with two new engines, a V-6 and a V-8, both considerably lighter then the I6. Hmmm, a 1/2 diesel sounds a little more realistic with something like that.

Reply to
azwiley1

Diesel here in MA is $2.63@gal reg gas is $2.11

I know a diesel would get better

How much does a 1/2 ton get used to capacity either loaded or towing? I'd bet not often. I can't see the benefit of a diesel in one.

Reply to
Roy

I guess this depends on the person

Reply to
azwiley1

It sure does.

Hey! While I have your attention thanks for the advice on the gps went with the garmin and it is super.

Reply to
Roy