engine start problem on 98 dodge 1500

I have a 98 Dodge 1500 that just recently developed a problem. The problem is when i went to crank the vehicle up it would crank but after a second or so it would turn off. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I really have no clue. Thanks

Reply to
Kevin_98Dodge

In my case, it was due to a poor battery connection. I tightened the terminal and screws, and everything works fine now.

Ignoramus23776

thanks i'll check....gauges do not move when cranking is performed also.....is that a computer problem.....will check battery connections though

Reply to
Kevin_98Dodge

No, there's no power to the cluster during cranking (just like there's no power to the radio, blower motor, etc. - the idea being give as much juice as possible/needed to the starter).

Lots of start/stall problems on these trucks stem from a weak/failed battery, where the battery gets drawn down to around 10V during cranking - this causes various sensors to read incorrectly to the PCM, and it gets confused. Yes, check the battry connections, then have the battery load-tested (most any place that sells batteries can do this). If it fails that test (meaning it drops below about 12.3-12.5V during cranking), it's time for a new battery.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

changed battery and still will not crank and stay cranked...I have no idea what is causing this....Need help please

Reply to
Kevin_98Dodge

If you depress the gas pedal a little bit, will it then start and stay running?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I recently added some cab lights to my 98, after taking the cables off of the battery. When the job was completed I conected everything and had the same problem that your describing. Before you sink any more money into fixing the problem, start the truck and try driving it at least 10 to 12 miles, normal driving. I called the local dealership and they said thats what you have to do to get the computer to reset the ignition memory and idle timming. Hope this works.

Reply to
belas78

What exactly do you mean by '"stay cranked"? Do you mean that the started stops turning it over or do you mean that it is stalling right after startup?

Reply to
TBone

Today me and a buddy started the truck after giving a little gas while cranking although it took 10 or more tries to do so. I drove it down the road a little ways and came back and turned the engine off and restarted the engine and it restarted again and then I turned off to see if it would restart and it went back to cranking up then 2 or 3 seconds and shuts off(gauges on dash do not move). I believe it might have to do something with the antitheft/security system on the truck. Anybody else have a problem with the antitheft/security system on their vehicle. Any info will help. Thanks for the replies back so far from everyone.

Reply to
Kevin_98Dodge