retrieving engine code on 1997 Dakota

1997 Dakota 3.9L 5-speed, 170k miles. Check Engine light came on today. I tried the on-off-on-off-on procedure numerous times and it doesn't flash any codes. I've done this before in the past and gotten that to work, although I can't remember what the result was - but it won't work now. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
dakota2112

IIRC, '97 was a model-change year for the Dak's, much like '98 was for the Rams (you have a digital odometer, correct?). They didn't implement the OBD-II code display for those until '00. You're going to have to get a code reader.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I don't know... I was thinking I had done this before on my truck, and I also was thinking the opposite of what you say - that the on-off-on- off-on procedure existed up until 2000 models or whenever they imposed OBD-II. But I may very well be mistaken.

Reply to
dakota2112

OBD-II came about in '96. I know for a fact that '98 and '99 Rams did not have the ability to display the codes, and that function has been available from '00 on up. I have no direct experience with a '97 Dakota, but would strongly suspect that it lacks that ability, as well.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

My 2001 Dakota has this feature for reading the codes on the odometer.

Gary

Reply to
Gary