Is English becoming a second language in America?

I am amazed at the low quality writing skills of the average newsgroup member. People are incapable of writing complete accurate sentences. Their grammar is poor, and their spelling is just plain horrible. Punctuation and syntax are second thoughts. Chatroomese seems to dominate, with no rules and substitute words that are harder to type than the actual correct word. They are compound ignorant; so ignorant that they don't know they're ignorant.

We get in all sorts of discussions about our labor being sent overseas, and jobs being stolen from "real Americans." I can understand why corporations outsource their technical help by just speaking with and reading the comments of these twenty something failures. Fact is, it's not an issue of jobs Americans do not want, it's an issue of jobs that many Americans just can't do.

While it is true that the United States has a great crop of young minds with intellectual potential, it is also true that a very high percentage of the young population is dumber than a Q-Tip. No wonder they are working at marginal careers and still living at home with mom and pop. They are incapable of reading and comprehending technical manuals, writing a 1500 word half way decent progress report on a project, and won't even use the most basic tools of a thesaurus, dictionary, or SpellChecker. So many do not even comprehend the difference in there/their/they're type of word usage.

And there's the issue of one ignorant fool rushing in to protect and save another. They band together tighter than a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses when you challenge one of them on their lack of skills or intelligence. Being stupid is a temporary situation, and no shame is associated with it. Staying stupid is a choice, and shame on those who choose to do so.

If you're tired of our country being overrun by illegal aliens, and our jobs being sent overseas to people who can do them, stop accepting less than acceptable behavior. Words mean things, and when a person is incapable of at least communicating effectively, they are worthless in the job market. They come across as immature uneducated juveniles, which is exactly what they are. What company is going to invest time and money in them when they show they can't even pay attention in English class?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve:

Your thoughts parallel mine, I have, many times, wondered the same thing. Often, someone will come here seeking help and can't even describe their problems cogently enough for someone to decipher what they want. It is more than merely chatroomese however, it is simply extremely poor speaking/writing skills. Their English prowess speaks volumes about the quality (or lack of) of our education system also as I presume that most are at least high school grads.

Thanks for your observation and sharing your forthright thoughts with us though I fear some flames will be directed your way for this.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

"Steve B" wrote in news:o3ZVh.194206$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.phx:

This isn't English class. It's usenet. Lots of shorthand. People tend to type quickly and send "prolly" w/o reading what they wrote before hand.

Reply to
Stephen King

"Stephen King" wrote

I fully agree.

It is only a snob and a net nanny who insists on proper English at all times. In conversation, we use all sorts of shortcuts, vernacular, colloquialisms, and "Know whut uh mean, Vern?" A good conversationalist can adapt their own speech to match that of their audience. It is only when someone is on an entirely different level that difficulties arise. It's no fun talking to a snob, and it's no fun talking to an idiot. At time in all conversations we have said, or someone else has said something totally silly, ass backwards, or switched around, and everyone knew exactly what they were talking about.

I am just talking about atrocious posts that leave one scratching one's head and wondering what the person is talking about. Many people here can't write that well, yet convey their message or question very well. But for the younger ones who have had the benefit of a free public education, there's no excuse. And they're the ones who usually complain the loudest and who are the most racist because "someone else" has "their job".

If one cannot write a simple post, how in the world are they going to write a JSA or IPE? (Job Safety Analysis or In Progress Evaluation) They're not, because laborers aren't called to do those tasks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

here here (or is it hear hear...lol)

I agree 100%. I encounter numerous individuals that you just described on a daily basis and it's almost commonplace.

I feel our education environment is severely lacking and needs tweaking.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

this is an interesting topic. to some degree, i have to agree with you. english skills have definately declined. writing skills included. on the other hand, i am not quite as anal about it as you are. in fact, steve, you seem to get pretty stressed about a lot of things.

anyway, there is a lot of reading that you can do on this very subject and the prevailing opinion seems to be that we are in a transition. writing skills simply will not be as valuable in the future. to some degree steve, you are judging a new world with old world rules. technology may very well do your writing for you soon. it already can do quite a bit. for instance steve, i could put this post through a software program that would add capitals, correct my puncuation, correct my spelling errors and make grammar changes. but then, what for? you would not understand what i wrote any better. it would just fit into your structured rules a little better and as a result your blood pressure would not have to rise as you read it. that however, is really your problem.

so, while to some degree you have a point, i still think that you are just a very uptight, anal dweeb who just needs to try to find some reason that he can feel that he is in some way superior to others. if it wasn't grammar, you would just find another source of irritation. you are just one of those stuffy people that ends up blowing an o-ring early in life because you don't have any idea about what is really important and what isn't.

just saying steve. thedumbguy

Reply to
theguy

wrote

You confuse two issues: feeling superior, and being superior.

People who disdain details and are sloppy in their writing are very likely to be sloppy about everything else in their lives.

Therefore, inferior beings.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

With all the millions illegal aliens and million of immigrants, in addition to workers with visas the US government is allowing into the US from every single third world country each year, YES.

Reply to
GeekBoy

very nice adolph.

Reply to
theguy

You're welcome.

Can't come up with a logical lucid counterpoint, so you just grab at a racial slur. Thoroughly expected and understood. You are so predictable it's scary.

Simply stated, those who choose to remain uneducated, unmotivated and unimproved can best be described as inferior. It is basic human nature for one to want better for themselves and their families. Each generation wants a better life for their progeny. Each person wants something better. Especially if they are cognizant enough of their own personal situation to realize that they are living a life of settling for less. Most rich and successful people in history have not started off that way, but come through adversity, poverty, hardship, and challenges to succeed. These are the superior beings. Not the ones who sit back and accept the status quo because that's the way it's always been done, because it's easier to blame someone else than accept responsibility for one's own failures, or just that they're too lazy to make any effort. And our society has made it easier by pandering to these voting slugs by providing social welfare programs, giveaways and entitlements.

If you can't understand the concept of inferior/superior beings, you really ARE one of the stupid ones. History is full of them. It's all written down in books. You have heard of books, right?

No?

You must be able to read, although your ability to write is questionable. Read. Study. Improve yourself. Stop being inferior. It's the easy way out.

Sigh ...........

Reply to
Steve B

the rest of the rant edited out as my service to my fellow man for today.

dweeb steve......you are one huge moron. i bet you got picked on as a kid. that makes we wonder........with that many guns, how long will it be before we read about you in the paper?

pretending to be an intellectual after you get out of jr. high school for the day by using your momys computer is going to get you into trouble little boy.

Reply to
theguy

Still can't discuss the issues and questions posed, but have to resort to ad hominem attacks, eh?

Come back when you can logically debate the issues posed.

And in the meantime, work on that spelling and grammar and punctuation.

You REALLY suck at it. But, hey, it's never too late to go back to school and graduate. Even if it is a GES diploma.

Do something about your inferiority besides flagrantly demonstrate it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

i did dweeb. the issue is you. we can discuss you. i did discuss you. once again you don't know what you are talking about.

oh, i sure will little boy.

ged? a subject i suspect that you know a great deal about.

lol. you are really reaching now. you been watching reruns of hulk hogan or what?

Reply to
theguy

This explains it ALL!!! He was home schooled and his mommy made his GES diploma for him out of needle point, to go with his pin head and needle dick. :)

Reply to
azwiley1

I'm even more amazed at the poor reading and comprehension skills of you (SteveB.).

Comprehension is tough for you, isn't it? Not only is it important to state your thoughts in a clear, concise manner, it's also important to understand what others say to you, regardless of your perception of their short comings.

This is a paradox. Either they have intellectual potential (as I believe) or they are "dumber than a Q-tip." Though I would place you in the latter.

Given your posts in the "guns on campus" thread, this is a hoot.

By this I assume you mean your "rest stop" buddies in the afformentioned "Guns on campus" thread.

Another hoot, son.

Hoot, hoot.

Hoot, hoot, hoot, hoot, hoot, ad infinitum.

Reply to
Ed H.

Because you are so interested in grammer, I would like to point out that "Many people here can't write that well" should read "Many people here can't write well" (sans "that") or "Many people here don't write well enough for me (Steve B.)."

Reply to
Ed H.

Ed, it's ok for him, sammy boy and beryl nuts to use incorrect grammar, at least in their minds.

Why in the world would I want or need to write either of those type of documents? Neither have squat to do with my profession. Since you are such an expert on everything including grammar, I would love to have you read one of my papers I had to write for my degree programs to see just how much an "expert" you really are. Oh wait, now you are going to start thinking incorrectly again that I am "twenty something virgin kid" Well I will point out for you again that you will be incorrect.

Reply to
azwiley1

Oh, God. Nitpicking, are we? If you want to pick apart something a lot more undecipherable, start with azidiot's use of the English language.

Oh, I forgot. You Rump Rangers stick together, right?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So it is ok for you to "nitpick" and blatantly attack me, some one you do not know and have never conversed with over something as petty as "lack of information" in a reply in a thread that was not even directed to you. Yet "we" are not allowed to do the same to you, I just love your double standards.

Reply to
azwiley1

Just pointing out to a metericious snob complaining about improper grammer that said snob's grammer was incorrect.

As to you're inept attempt at an insult... All my communications with azwily1 are in the public record as they have only been in the public news groups. As seems to be more [your| you're| you are| ya'lls| yar'se] modus operandi, when [your| you're| you are| ya'lls| yar'se] feelings have been hurt, you resort to baseless name calling. In case you wonder about my use of [..., ...] I suggest you read the introduction to any technical manual, then look up the definitions of the words within the square brackes (that is the [ and ] and between the vertical bar (that is |). and try to figure out what I wrote you.

Reply to
Ed H.