Is English becoming a second language in America?

Because we're all so interested in nitpicking...

metericious?

Grammar, with two "a"s

quote: Because you are so interested in grammer, I would like to point out that "Many people here can't write that well" should read "Many people here can't write well" (sans "that")

Sans the redundant "people" too, it's understood that _people_ do the writing. "Many here can't write well."

your

azwiley1 comma goes here ^

brackets (those are the [ and ])

bars (those are | |)... and why did you put a period outside the parentheses, before the lowercase and?

Reply to
Beryl

You blurt out the dopiest comments imaginable.

Reply to
Beryl

Actually, I did quite poorly with English during my school days, and I haven't suffered an ounce of consequence for it. Do I spell every word in my posts correctly? the answer to that would be an emphatic NO. Do I go out of my way to? again, NO!

I work for a very secure company, I make top wages in my field, and the future for my family and I is secure. Have I attended any schools? NONE! Everything I know is via hands on. Intelligent people don't need college, trade schools, or anything else of that nature to be intelligent productive members of society making good wages and worrying about the security of their jobs. So what if they use chatroom shorthand?? BIG WHOOP!! we're all guilty of it. Like the other posters have said. It's all in the way they lay out the description of their problems. Quit knitpicking and do something more constructive with your perfect punctuation!!

I've seen people in high paying positions who can't distinguish the difference between many English words, and yet there they are with all of their education constantly making spelling errors in company literature. Does it make them dumb as a box of Q-Tips? NO.

All You have managed to do is point out your own ignorance to what real intelligence is all about. This country wouldn't function if not for the C average English using population. Be thankful we're here... We keep your shit running for you because You're incapable of doing it for yourself.

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

The "skills of you" huh?

How short are your comings, Ed? Ever get them past your shoes?

Ah, you see "they" as one cohesive group, a group which must be either/or.

Though I would place you in the latter.

The latter what? Group? Where did that paradox go?

hoot

Don't make giggly assumptions so based on someone else's giggly remarks, say something real here. Try.

hoot

hoot

Great work, Ed.

Reply to
Beryl

I fergitted da dayum spellered cheeker thingermahjiggy.

Shame on me!

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

Don't you mean GED?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Yes, I did. And D and S are very close on the keyboard.

But, Hey, I made the mistake. At least I have my then/than, your,you're, their/there/they're, and two/to/too usages correct.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Only great minds can read this

This is weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

So does it really matter?

Reply to
rm

Reply to
Ed H.

"azwiley1" wrote

I notice your "standards" are now shifting. Now your ignorance of guns is a "lack of information"?

Were you ever in politics?

Have you ever considered a career in that field?

You would be good at it the way you change subjects, divert focus, fail to answer questions, answer questions with emotional ad hominem attacks, and just do the doublespeak sidestep dance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Ed H." wrote

I suggest you read the

Please, Ed! Reading what you post makes me dizzy. Rereading it would make me plain nauseous to the point of vomiting.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, Ed?

Reply to
Steve B

Egad, I really embarrased my self with that one. Composition was another area in school in which I was weak and I've worked to correct it ever since. After a few adult beverages on a Friday night I sometimes slip into my old habits.

After re-reading Steve's remarks I see what he means. Sometimes my comprehension is flawed too. At least I can admit it. Therefore, I retract my "paradox" statement.

Thank you Beryl for taking the time to correct my mistakes.

Reply to
Ed H.

As a former tradesman, I agree with you. There's the guys who sit around and talk about it and plan it and plot it, then there's the guys who get out there and get it done.

I'm sorry you were unable to grasp my post. What I said is that it is sad to accept unacceptable behavior and to foster it by not seeking for a higher standard. To wit: even azidiot's posts have come up a noticeable notch in his use of English since this thread started. He is using upper case letters to start sentences, and using more punctuation. He is spelling better, and I can't say if that is because he is watching what he posts more, or just turned on the spell checker. HE IS MAKING MORE SENSE. Before, he looked like a crackhead with a typewriter. Now he is looking better. And I think it's because he's just thinking a little more.

I am glad you are successful. I have known many successful men who were lacking in skills. Yet, in today's world, those people are becoming rarer and rarer. And many times, I see that people hit the "glass ceiling" when moving up in a company because of their skill levels which prevent them from going any farther. And almost always, the position goes to a younger better educated person.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That gives me a small amount of pleasure.

Reply to
Ed H.

"Roger Rabbid" wrote

Your post was most eloquent. I just have trouble giving any credibility to someone who writes something like, "their are two many trucks inn the road", and doesn't have a clue they made a mistake.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Just as long as you have the correct letters at the beginning and end of a word, the letters in the middle are in the correctly spelled word and it's a word that the adult reading it has seen before. Still that is a pretty amazing phenomenon.

Reply to
Ed H.

Scuh a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed 'Typoglycemia' .

Reply to
samstone

It only matter in the areas of perception and credibility. People who speak in dialects, like street talk, and expect others to do the same and to be able to understand are perceived as what they are, and are given very little credibility.

So yes, we can understand what's being said. It's just so much nonverbal information is also given.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B