My 2003 truck is rusting

Dale,

Ditto on the Rhino lining. Several trucks at the local 4x4 jamboree have had it sprayed on rockers, wheel wells, or complete underside of body and it looks good and lasts forever.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

It really doesn't matter. They are an official representative of the manufacturer and were the ones who installed them. DC at the least should force this dealership to make the repairs, even at the dealerships cost. To simply dismiss it like they did shows their more concerned about a few more dollars over customer loyalty and if that is what they want....

Reply to
TBone

It appears that we have both misread each others posts. I never suggested that he dump his vehicle and take a loss from doing so. What I said was that if DC is unwilling to protect it's customers from damage caused by one of its dealerships and he buys another one whenever, then all he is really doing is rewarding the company for screwing him over and encouraging it do it again. It looked to me like your post suggested that he just make and pay for the repairs himself and forget about it and stick with Dodge and the dealer. I can see in your response that this is not the case, but the entire company must take some blame here, not just the dealer and if they are unwilling to correct the problem that they caused....

Reply to
TBone

That would work well down low. but he had wheel opening moldings on it that seem to be the problem. Those things were always a problem, probably why most makers don't offer them.

Roy Go Pats!!

Reply to
Roy

No, I know that. The OP suggested that himself.

That's akin to saying you'll never buy a John Deere tractor again, because the last time it was in the repair shop, they scratched it up. DC has absolutely nothing to do with the problems he is having... that responsibility lies solely with the dealership service department. Remember, this wasn't a warranty repair - this was the dealership installing an aftermarket part at the customer's request - no different than if a private shop did the same. The dealership is it's own business. Yes, they sell DC products, and represent DC for warranty purposes, but the work they do for profit is their work, and theirs alone.

By all means, never go back to that dealership for service again, but to condemn the manufacturer, and to go further and dump the vehicle at a financial loss, makes absolutely no sense.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Personally I would clean out the wheel wells real good and use bed liner inside them. On the outer lip areas use some clear chip guard spray. It sprays over the paint and prevents chipping. As for installing the molding. DON'T use screws. Buy some good 3M trim tape, clean the area with some alcohol and use a solid strip of tape applied to the edges of the molding to seal it to the body. That way dirt/salt cannot get behind it and cause problems. Mud flaps are installed the same way, then one stainless screw on top and bottom, then clear sealant around both screws. The big thing is ANY rust MUST be removed and treated before you do anything. Either grind it all off or cut out and replace it. Leaving anything behind and you WILL regret it.

Reply to
Steve W.

That is not how I read it. What I thought he was saying is that with the way Dodge handled the situation, his next new truck may be a FORD, not that he was going to dump his current Dodge for a FORD tomorrow but I could be wrong.

LOL, that has no valid comparrison to it at all.

Which is a paid representitive of DC.

It most certainly is different. A private shop has no connection with the manufacturer at all and is not authorized by DC to do anything to the vehicle, very different than a dealership.

Yep, and part of their business is representing the manufacturer. The manufacturer is responsible for making sure that they are represented correctly and by people willing to stand behind their work, warranty or not.

I do not agree, not when it comes to them making modifications on the vehicles that they are authorized by the manufacturer to perform service and warranty work on.

I agree with not dumping the vehicle at a loss unless he intends to get rid of it before it becomes a worthless rusted hulk. As for condemning the manufacturer, they should be with the way they appeared to have handled the situation. They authorized this dealership service department to work on these vehicles and should put pressure on them to correct errors that they caused, not just blow off the customer like they seemed to have done.

Reply to
TBone
18000.00 Canadian Dollars? What is that 25.00 USD? If so, that's a pretty good deal. Buy the Ford.

I'm just trying to lighten the mood. (Everyone gets so worked up about the dumbest shit. Did you have any idea how explosive a discussion rust on YOUR truck would be?). :)

Go Eagles!

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

But if it happened on my truck I would be just as pissed as Dale. Especially if DC won't help him. I bought a 95 Firebird convertible new and the dealership where I bought it promised to replace the optically distorted windshield. Well they did but with one much worse. Apprarently whoever supplied GM with windshields for the Firebird back then had a serious quality control problem. The dealership refused to put another one in it. I then appealed to GM who told me they always support their dealers. So to make a long story short GM was forced to buy the car back. There were other problems with the car that GM wouldn't fix. I haven't looked at another GM product since then. And I won't. Why? Because of the way I was treated by the Pontiac dealer and GM. And loking at GM's sales and financial info I don't believe I was the only one. Companies need to be held accountable for the actions of the dealers. After all the dealers are acting on behalf of these companies.

Bob

Go Cowboys!!

Reply to
Bob M

I was actually just bitching about how out-of-hand some posters on this NG get. I, too, would be good and pissed about this situation with DC. Not so pissed, however, to take a bath on trading my truck in for another vehicle.

Cowboys? BWAhahahhahh ahhahah ahahahahahah hahahaha

The only thing more used up than the 'new and improved' QB, is the coach. :)

Craig C. Very likely the ONLY Eagles fan in Dallas.

Reply to
craig

That is an _excellent_ comparison!

DC does not pay the dealership a dime! Any profits the dealership earns are the result of sales by the dealer.

No different than the dealership! By installing an aftermarket accessory, DC is take out of the loop and thus has no culpablity for the problem. Sorry if you can't/won't understand this.

When the dealership chose to sell/install an aftermarket part, the dealership no longer represents DC.

The

The dealership does have an obligation to stand behind the work that they do, that's undeniable, but DC has no obligation whatsoever in this issue.

You may not agree, but facts is facts!

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Dale, All the late model cars use VERY light guage sheet steel to save weight. However, all the sheet metal is coated at the factory before final paint. Chips in the paint will not cause rust. Simple touchup paint suffices. Obviously any chips that deform the metal has the potential to damage the coating. This coating is also applied to the flooring panels as well. I think any holes drilled or punched anywhere on the vehicle is a risk and should not be done. The mudflaps on my '04 CTD are factory flaps and do not mount to the sheet metal. They have special fasteners that mount to the plastic polypropolene inner fenders. Some of the responders have mentioned Rhino liner and other similar products. Yes, they are very good, but they add a lot of weight and they have the potential to create cavities that can collect water without detection because of poor bonding due to oil and grease not properly cleaned first.

My comment about Ford is only partially correct. I apologize. Ford has no equivelent to the Cummins. The Power Stroke isn't even in the same league. However, I wasn't thinking about their gas engines. The Ford V8s are much better that the Dodge competition. Maybe the Hemi will prove itself, but I'm not buying one yet.

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Really???? How??? How does the improper installation of a part by someone that represents the manufacturer compare with a mechanic accidently scratching the vehicle?

Really???? Then I guess that your dealership does its warranty work for free and if not, then you are a P A I D representative..

Of course you would say that Mike, you work for one but it is still not true.

You are correct in that they have no legal obligation but they still have an obligation to their customers that the dealerships that carry their name will stand behind the work they do and if not, then DC is no better than their worst dealership and anyone that buys from them in that case is a fool.

LOL, as long as the dealership carries the manufacturers name on the sign outside and does the work on one of the manufacturers vehicles for whatever reason, it always represents the manufacturer which in this case is DC.

DC does have an obligation to its customers if it intends on keeping them. The days of complete blind brand loyalty has for the most part come to and end. While it may still seem to exist in a limited way in here, in reality, many will and are doing what Dale is considering, IOW, screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

You are correct here Mike and "the facts is" that if the manufacturer is unwilling to help a customer resolve a problem with one of its representatives, then it no longer deserves that customers business.

Reply to
TBone

What is considered "aftermarket"? I went in and spec'ed a couple of trucks online and there were several "factory" options available with notes that said "shipped with the vehicle for dealer installation." For example, nerf bars on a GM truck (Oh, leave me alone, I was just looking ;-)

If the dealer is installing factory shipped items, are they covered under the original vehicle warranty at any dealership?

And another question: Undercoating! This is a cash cow for a dealer. I have seen where undercoating will void a rust-through warranty because it may leave "pockets" where salt and other stuff can be trapped. But if the dealer does the undercoating prior to delivery, how would that affect my rust-through warranty?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Never mind rust. I was worked up because I'm being forced to get new front and rear bumpers on my 3500 as the result of a guy kissing the backend of my truck with a Ford Taurus. He hit me hard enough to shove me into the vehicle in front of me even though I was stopped with my foot still on the brakes and the wheels locked. No other damage except the bumpers and the electrical connector on the trailer hitch.

My wife had backed into something a couple of years ago and put a one inch scratch on the rear bumper. When I told her about the accident, I told her I was getting the rear bumper replaced so she wouldn't have to feel guilty about scratching "MY" truck anymore. ;-)

Reply to
Greg Surratt

That's because you don't read...

Now - tell me how that doesn't sound like he's going to trade his truck in on an '05 SD.

So you think DC authorized the installation of some aftermarket fender trim? And if they didn't authorize it, then the dealership was acting independently, weren't they? Just like a dealer that installs a performance chip on a truck (and there are dealers that do that). Try getting DC to pay for engine damage with an aftermarket performance box on it, if you didn't go back to the installing dealer.

Yeah - part of their business is. But not EVERYTHING they do is backed by the manufacturer. Hell, I've seen GM/Ford trucks in my Dodge dealer's service department. Obviously, they're not representing DC when working on those vehicles - so why should this situation be different?

I don't really care if you agree or not, Tom... I'm telling you the way it is (and Mike, who DOES THIS FOR A LIVING, is telling you the same thing)... the fact that you choose to ignore it and substitute your view of reality is, well... you.

If DC didn't authorize them to install those trim pieces (and I'm 99.99% sure they did not), then how can you hold DC responsible? Dealerships are INDEPENDENT from the manufacturer. Yes, they but product from the manufacturer, sell that product, and perform factory-authorized service on said product. DC specifically disclaims responsibility for any damage caused by the installation of non-authorized parts (read your warranty manual), and this is exactly the situation here. The dealership did the install, so THEY are responsible for the results - NOT DC.

I'm not saying I support the way they handled it, either... I'm just not naive enough to expect anything different.

Not to install non-factory parts, they didn't.... that's the part you're ignoring here.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Damn! Couldn't have said it better myself. Just because he doesn't agree, that makes it reality.... jeesh... I dunno why I waste my time...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

OK, you _know_ that this is not true, how? My simple minded little friend, I have a dealer warranty and policy guidebook in my office which is as thick as a NYC phone book. In it, it covers virtually every scenario a D/C dealer might encounter. I have over time, read this book from cover to cover. In this tome, it specifically states that D/C is not liable for any aftermarket accessories sold by the dealership. Further, the dealer agreement that every dealer _must_ sign specifically exempts D/C from any liability due to an error by the dealership. Legal minds have worked these things out over _many_ years! How is it then, that your knowledge is superior to those who actually _DO_ this for a living? Just because you _wish_ something is so _doesn't_ make it so. Now, why don't you go buy that Ferd you've been talking about and go annoy the snot of of that NG with your "superior" knowledge of the industry.... hmmmmmm?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

jeez Tom, are you having the same problem with Tbone that everyone else has? Well, thats because its YOU/US, not him, WTF are you thinking?

Tbone rejects reality and substitutes his own, just like mythbuster Adam.

I'd just like to be a fly on the wall when Tbone hears this line, "I'm not fixing it because its your problem." His HUD would immediately display a list of culpable subjects, listed in order of availability. None of these would be "ME".

A quick right click and a mid screen list of options such as "Blame", "point at", "indictate", "insinuate," would drop down from the subject, and a quick selection would allow him to place a degree of agression towards the subject. Once selected, the subject would have subheadings to choose from, one being "main issue", another being "diversion issue", and of course "off topic entirely". In order of selection, each one would be either the main tactic or a side tactic, and a neat little graphic with several buttons on it for quick selection would appear. Each button would be labelled so he could insert the topics at will.

Across the bottom would be four big buttons, "opposition is full of shit, but I'm not sure how", "Sexual innuendo" (a pop up with selection buttons "hetero", "h*mo" "your mama" "your girlfriend/wife" would appear, with confirming buttons "OK" or "NOT OK, BUT DO IT ANYWAY" at the bottom) "Spin" (pop up with "Shaken" "stirred" "aw f*ck, what did I say anyway?", with "OK" and "Do it now before I feel like an ass" at the bottom) and of course, "back pedal at warp factor ten Mr. Sulu".

Ok, ran out of ideas, I'm hungry. Just remember, its US, not him, and everything in his little world will be AAAAAA friggin OK!!!

Reply to
Max Dodge

Then "they" represent the manufacturer of the trim, which should have come with stainless screws, sealant, and instructions.

I can buy a cheap watch, a baseball cap, sunglasses, and die-cast toys at my local Dodge parts store too. "They" sell them.

Reply to
Sparkle