OT-Fair Warning

I now have cable DSL and I cun mek musteaks mush fester naow.

Budd

snipped-for-privacy@precisSPAMcom.net

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Nothing to say, Tom?

VBG

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

tom, gotta ask again, are you the T_Bone from arizona?

Reply to
theguy

Ok, congratulations on your new high speed connection.

Reply to
TBone

"Budd Cochran" wrote in news:dldb1k$8a6$1 @domitilla.aioe.org:

Uh, Budd, DSL and cable are two different things. You have one or the other.

Reply to
Joe

Holy CRAP!!! It worked!! I was at a carnival the other day, and for the hell of it, put a dollar into the 'Zoltar' machine.

:^)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yeah, but Budd's also into the whole hybrid thing...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Ya better get your money back then.

Reply to
TBone

Thanks, Tom.

It's sure nice to download 15 Mb in 15 minutes rather than close to 4 hours!!!

But they don't offer a news server so it's Google groups until I find a good free server.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Let's take a look, Joe . . . .

The Ethernet port on the PC is plugged into the cable modem, the Ethernet to cable modem, thru bandpass filters, is connected to the big silvery wire thingy on the big tall wooden fence post in the neighbors's yard and then it goes out of sight in both directions, but I'm told it goes to the company that supplies my cable TV, Precis Communications up in Price UT.

So, I have both, cable and DSL and they come into my home on the same

75 ohm TV cable. What do I have if not cable DSL as advertised by Precis?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I told you to only play the ring toss . . .you stand a better chance with it of getting a prize.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I just ordered what Precis Communications, the local cable entity, advertised it to be.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

You probably have cable internet, Budd... DSL is dependent on a phone line and is usually 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of cable..

I've been on cable for about 5 years now and would never give it up, even if I didn't need it for work... I had to use the (yuk) modem in my laptop the other day and it was like trying to swim through Jello, compared to "broadband"...

BTW: welcome to broadband... you'll love it!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

They offer "High Sped Internet" over cable, at either 256K/64K or 1024K/256K (that's download speed vs. upload speed). DSL is Digital Subscriber Line, and works over phone lines - not cable. I have DSL here at my place, delivered over one of my phone lines (I have no cable service here worth paying for - satellite for TV). I get 5120K/640K service for $55

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I believe the difference is this. Cable Internet is through cable TV lines. DSL is through digital phone lines.

Reply to
miles

"Budd Cochran" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Budd, both mac and miles answered your question correctly. You have cable.

Reply to
Joe

"Budd Cochran" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Budd, try this in your news client: news.aioe.org

It's a freebie with text-only groups. Not the fastest thing around, but the price is reasonable.

Reply to
Joe

Please indicate exactly what cable modem or cable company uses band pass filters.

Reply to
TBone

Like Tom said, if you are connecting your modem through a telephone jack, then you have a DSL modem and if it is connected by a coax connection, then it is a cable modem. Where exactly are those band pass filters connected. That sounds a lot like a DSL setup if they are connected to your telephones.

Reply to
TBone