OT-Fair Warning

Cox has in the past.

Reply to
miles

Where were they connected and what purpose did they serve? Not calling you a liar, just curious.

Reply to
TBone

Yea, my sister took the one month free deal from her cable company for high speed internet access and figured that she would say no at the end. I laughed at her and said that once I set it up, she will be hooked and sure enough, the first time she used it, she was. Just remember, this is an always on connection so unless you power your PC on and off after every use, you are vulnerable to attack. If you are using XP, make sure that its firewall is updated and activated and if not, I would suggest that you pick up either some firewall software of a cable router to hide behind.

I was wondering why your responses were without the origional text. Good free servers are hard to find but the one Joe mentioned seems to work ok, although a bit slow.

Reply to
TBone

The TV cable enters a room and connects to a splitter. On the output to the cable modem a filter is put in place. Something about cross interference between the cable modem and TV line to the rest of the neighborhood.

Reply to
miles

Yeah, now that you mention it, they (AT&T, now Comcast) put a filter inline under the house when we had problems with cable internet...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Ok, I think I understand, but why does the cable company call it "DSL"? Just to give a sort of comparison to phone DSL? My bro-in-law has phone DSL and he thinks my connection is faster.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Already do love it, my friend. But I found out my 4 year old copy of Norton doesn't like XP too well, so I got AVG. Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I have the 256K/64K for $21.95 since I have basic cable ... $4/mo. than dial-up.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Ok. Thanks to all.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

That's one I tried and I couldn't find my groups after 9 PM local time. Too costly for that kind of service. ;^)

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Tom,

You're challenging the wrong guy and the cable internet installer called them band pass filters. That's all I know about it.

Down, boy, down.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Yea, my sister took the one month free deal from her cable company for high speed internet access and figured that she would say no at the end. I laughed at her and said that once I set it up, she will be hooked and sure enough, the first time she used it, she was. Just remember, this is an

always on connection so unless you power your PC on and off after every use, you are vulnerable to attack. If you are using XP, make sure that its firewall is updated and activated and if not, I would suggest that you pick up either some firewall software of a cable router to hide behind.

I was wondering why your responses were without the origional text. Good free servers are hard to find but the one Joe mentioned seems to work ok, although a bit slow.

-- If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving

It can be done in Google, by "cut & paste", but it's a bother.

My cable modem has a "standby" switch on top and I can "turn-off" the internet and still have the PC booted.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Bandpass filters are used in many R.F. systems to isolate and/or restrict interference. Back in the 70's we could get AM/FM/CB radio antennas for our vehicles that had pretty large filters to prevent the CB from overdriving the detector / first amp stages of your AM radio.

But they often failed when some clown would drive a kilowatt thru them instead of the legal 4 watts of CB output.

Budd (aka, Canon City Boogieman, KBH-4658)

Reply to
Budd Cochran

LOL, no challenge intended. Just curious as to what type of filters were being used. When I had DSL, I had them on my phones to block the DSL carrier signal and have never seen any filters on any of my cable connections.

Reply to
TBone

Try Supernews, I've been using it with direcway for along time, been ok dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Yep.. cable is usually about twice as fast as DSl, when both are the "high speed" option... The cable here is only available at high speed, but some areas have slower cable speeds for less monthly fee..

I think DSL has a few speeds available, too, but not sure..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

ADSL (which is what is typically used for consumer-grade service) can go up to 8Mbps in one direction, and 1Mbps in the other. Newer implementations can achieve up to 12Mbps, depending on the distance the signal needs to travel, condition of the lines, etc. I've seen services offered from

768K/128K (for $15/month) up to 7Mb/1Mb (probably in the $70-$80/month range).
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

They installed filters (two of them) on my cable system back in 98 when I first got it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry