RAM CTD horns have no fuse!!!!

I have been having problems with my dealer installed car alarm. I have very little faith that car alarms actually help with vehicle theft, but the dealer installs alarms on every car that they sell.

To date, I have been back to the deal 3 times with problems with the alarm. Yesterday, they suggested that I pull the horn fuse to stop the horn from blowing when the alarm is acting up. In looking at the fuse box and at the manual, there is no horn fuse listed. Today I had the alarm fixed one more time and the dealer was not able to tell me where the fuse was! It took them 2 hours to get back to me with the answer.

The answer is, there is no horn fuse on Dodge diesel trucks!. The ECU will de-activate the horn if it is honking too much. So if the horn is honking, the only way to disable it is to pull negative battery leads on both batteries, pull the horn connector, or pray that the ECU will disable the horn before the neighbors come out and shoot holes in your truck!

I was also told that if I did the mod to make the remote keyless entry open all 4 doors that the alarm will go into panic mode!

Reply to
Dave

It might help if you mention the year of your truck.

The horn does have a fuse but it's usually not labeled as such, the fuse that protects the horn circuit is usually part of another system like the headlights, cigar lighter, remote entry etc. Also, there is a horn relay in the Power Distribution Center than can be pulled out to quickly deactivate the horns. (Read the owner's manual)

If your dealer couldn't tell you a way other than disconnecting battery terminals, I'd look for another dealer.

Reply to
John Kunkel

I have a 06' 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD. In looking at the owners manual, I can not even find horn is the index!

Reply to
Dave

It's a relay

Reply to
GeekBoy

time to find a new dealer. By the way, this deal was Earnhardt Dodge in Gilbert, AZ.

Reply to
Dave

Nope, not even that. In '06, horn activation is completely controlled by solid state electronics within the integrated power module. The only way to completely disable the horn is to disconnect the connectors from the horns themselves. The only fuse in the picture is the fuse that supplies power to the instrument cluster. It's the cluster that either senses the horn switch, or decides to trigger the horns via the alarm, and communicates to the IPM via the CAN bus. When told to do so, the IPM switches power to the two (high/low) horn outputs.

If it's an after-market alarm, with it's own controls, then the only ways it can be triggering the horns is if it supplies power directly to the horns, or if it's tapped into the horn switch wiring. If it supplies power directly to the horns, it may have it's own inline fuse. If it's just supplying a ground path to the horn switch sense circuit, there wouldn't be any fuse.

Why would the dealer be installing an alarm when there's a perfectly good one, with keyless entry and sentry key all integrated, available for order from the factory?

By the way - all this has nothing to do with the truck being a diesel, but everything to do with it being an '06 model.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence