Check engine light

My "check engine" light came on and is staying on for my 98 Cherokee with 74,000 miles. The manual is sort of vague on what the light might mean.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Most parts stores will turn the light out and check the codes for free.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

I got a code reader from Harbor Freight. It will read and reset the codes and monitors.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Read and see if one of those methods works. If not then take it by Autozone if there is one nearby and have them read the codes.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The flashing only gives an overview. The reader gives a more detailed code. It is a place to start. My reader was $35 on sale at HF. Reads all the cars I've tried it on. I only got the basic reader. You can spend more for a fancy model. Good luck on fixing it quickly.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I tried the following procedures:

1)For the 1998 to 2002 models you can access the trouble codes as follows. Insert the key but do not turn. Fully depress the trip reset button and hold down. Next turn the key to the on position three times and then leave in the on position. Release trip reset button and the gauges will flicker and the odometer will count down and then show the trouble codes.

2)I have been told that some 1997's you don't need to use the trip button but cycle the key off and on 5 times! Just try one way or the other if it does not work for you.

and in both cases the number that came up was 34.4 that is 34 (decimal) 4.

I was not sure how to read that number.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Hi Scott...The cheapest reader is now about $50...I will watch the their sales for one...Thank you for this information...Larry

Reply to
Larry