Running lights not working...

Hi! My 1995 Dodge diesel's running lights quit working. I do still have headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. All fuses are good. Is this a light switch problem? Thanks in advance.

Randy

Reply to
Randall La Rue

There was a recall several years back on the headlight switch. The wiring used was too small, and caused the wiring to overheat, and melt the connector on the back of the switch. If you haven't had this recall applied to your truck, I'd be very suspect of the switch. I own a '95 3500, and had this happen to me.

Remove your dash bezel - if you have an automatic, set the parking brake, and shift the transmission into '1' (get the shifter out of the way). Tile the steering wheel all the way down if you have a tilt column. Remove the ashtray, and remove the two screws on either side of the opening. Pull open the cupholders, and remove the two screws holding that in place. Remove the cupholder assembly, then remove the dash bezel. Be careful of the wiring to the cigarette lighter and accessory outlets. Either disconnect these, or just flip the bezel out of the way.

Now remove the screws holding the headlamp switch in. Pull the switch out, and look at the connector and wiring. If anything looks bad (ie. melted), you'll need a new switch. Before purchasing one, take your VIN# to your local Dodge dealer, and have them check and see if recall #819 (note that this only applies to 3500's - if you have a 2500, you're on your own). If you do have a 3500, and this recall was not applied, you can get the switch replaced under this recall for free (recalls are performed regardless of warranty status).

See

for details

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Randall,

Did you check all your fuses? Do you have aftermarket emergency flashers? The former should be checked first and the latter can blow fuses all over the place if not properly installed. Learned this the hard way.

Randolf

Reply to
randolf_scott