Starter? Ingnition Cylinder? Ingnition switch?

I have an 87 caravan. Today the key would not go in, once it it would not come out. This is a first for this.

Secondly, when I do go to start it the van does nothing, then it gets

1/2 a crank and finally starts. Once warm it seems to start on the first try. That may not be true, but it seems that way.

So, it seems that there are two things going on. 1. the ignition cylinder, and 2. either the ignition switch or starter.

Anyone see this? My guess is it is a common problem.

Thanks Shane

Reply to
Shane

Aynone????

Reply to
Shane

The lock cylinder issue is a common one. When it locks up, usually a few hits on the end of the key with a rubber hammer will allow it to be turned. At least for a few times. It's best to replace it as soon as possible.

On the 2nd problem, that could be many things: weak battery, start relay contacts getting bad, starter getting bad, battery cable connectors corroded etc. etc. If your battery is more than 4-5 years old I would replace it, and see if the problem disappears.

Reply to
Steve N.

I replaced the cylinder. I can not believe how easy that was. 5 minutes.

The 2nd problem was the starter. It eventually stopped worked all together. 30 minute fix. Running pretty good now. Thanks!

Reply to
Shane