Troubleshoot windshield washer

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2 liter V-8 engine.. My windshield washer stopped working, although I can hear the pump motor running when I press the operate button but I do not get any washer fluid onto the windshield. I attempted to remove the electrical connector at the base of the reservoir so I can either remove the pump assembly that appears to be sealed into the plastic reservoir assembly with a rubber grommet or I if I have to remove the reservoir completely so I can bench test it. The connector is on a very short lead and I can't see what I have to detent or whatever to get the connector off. I tried pulling the pump assembly out of the reservoir assembly but it doesn't look like it is going to come out very easily. I would appreciate some information on this problem and I thank you for your cooperation. I tried to bring up the usenet search engine on Google to check the archives as I am sure there is information regarding the above problems but I couldn't bring it up.

.
Reply to
Jake

ok first step. you say you hear the motor running so I probably is.

this is important and all to easily over looked (don't ask me how I know) MAKE SURE ITS FULL. next follow the line up to the firewall there will be a plastic connection like thing in the line at some point take the hose loose at this connection and run the pump, you should get water at this point if you don't then the blockage is between here and the pump, if you do then its between there and the nosel. the nosels themselves can cake up with crud and stop water flow. so can those pesky little plastic hose connections, vacuum T's and straight splices work well for broken items in the washer fluid line. also while your running the pump (or someone else is for you) look to see if you can see water falling from under a fender indicating a broken line or connector.

follow those steps first is what I would do. the likely hood of a clog is pretty good I've seen it more than once. also for a hose pulled loose or broken is there too. my main point is, I wouldn't necessarily go straight to pulling the pump, I would check the rest of the plumbing for flow and leaks

1st.
Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thanks for your suggestions Chris. Yes, the reservoir is full and I did try to clean out the nozzles with a small pin. I can't take the feed line apart in front of the firewall to check the flow from the pump as there is only about 12 inches of the tubing visible before it enters the firewall. The feed line is in back of the black cowl above the firewall and you would have to remove the wiper arms and then the black cowl to get at the line. I can cut the visible part of the line and check the flow and then I can take connect it back with a straight splice as you suggested. When I have the line apart checking the flow I will also pressure test thefeed line to the nozzles to clear any blockage.

Reply to
Jake