Debadging

Hi there,

Was waxing my punto at the weekend and noticed that my old style Fiat badge is starting to look a bit faded and erm, crappy looking.

How would I go about getting rid of it? A friend suggested heating it with a hairdrier and then king of prising it off.

Anyone done this or have any better suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
David Gouge

The usual way of removing badges that are stuck with adhesive to the bodywork is to warm them up slightly with a hairdryer and use something akin to cheesewire to gently 'saw' between the badge and the bodywork to remove it. Then, use alcohol to remove any adhesive left behind.

Prising a badge off has a significant risk of bringing with it some paintwork....

Reply to
Neil Barker

Sure. Warm it with said hairdryer then with a length of monofilament fishing line, put the line behind the back edge of the badge and pull the line tight both around the badge (around the adhesive pad) and pulling the badge off. CAREFULLY!

Once the badge is off, use alcohol to remove the sticky on the car, then wax the car to be nice and shiny.

My recommendation continues, however, as I'd also recommend that you retain the badge as a souvenir - you can now use this opportunity to sell the car - something like an Alfa 147 or 156 will do nicely, is great to drive and retains a Fiat pedigree, meaning I won't get flamed too much for this post!

(Wife drives a Lancia, I drive an Alfa, therefore I subscribe to this Fiat NG!)

The monofilament (being nylon) means you won't scratch the paint, just be careful you don't pull off the paint whilst pulling the badge away from the body.

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

Use good old Lighter Fuel, the liquid type, not the gas.

Dribble some on the top edge and allow to settle/soak. A little move then try gently prising the top edge away. With the top edge lift/pull applied dribble a small amount more behind the badge. Whole lot will come away very quickly. Remenants of 'sticky' can be wipe off with a cloth/towel soaked in lighter fuel.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll have a bash at it this weekend and see how it goes. I've already digitally debadged and it looks great! ;o)

Thanks again (apart from the getting an Alfa bit!)

Dave

Reply to
David Gouge