Punto with crazy throttle problem

Hi all,

Maybe you could offer me some advice. My neighbour opposite has bought her daughter a 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 (I think she said) from a garage some 20 miles away.

The car occasionally starts revving very hard with no accelerator input from the driver. Rather scary. It apparently is likely to occur when the engine becomes fully warmed up.

Does this sound like any well known issue?

My neighbour is not keen to drive the vehicle to the garage, and they said they can't collect it and suggested my neighbour phone up the "warranty people" who have also been unhelpful.

Any suggestions that I can pass on to Carol?

Many thanks.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

MkII Puntos have a reputation for ECU faults - usually the 'body computer'.

Sounds like it's an ECU fail to me.

Get your neighbour to have it towed in on their breakdown policy.

Reply to
SteveH

It's a bad one that, they also suffer with Throttle Body problems too - although the ECU is bolted there anyway. It could be a sign of the head gasket going too. These suffer with bad air locks in the cooling system, and if left will cause the head to warp.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Thanks chaps - the latest is that when it was connected to a computer it appears to have been a temperature sensor at fault - if that makes sense?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Does make sense, if the sensor is telling the ECU that the engine is always cold, meaning cold-start procedures kick in, IYSWIM.

Equally, it could still be the ECU reporting false errors.

Reply to
SteveH

Or the sensor is sitting in air. A blown head gasket will also cause this.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Punto with a blown head gasket. Surely not.

Reply to
SteveH

LOL

Reply to