Ducato 1.9TD, vibration front suspension, transmission

I have a fiat Ducato motor-home. 1.9TD 1993. For the last six months I have had trouble with vibration in the front suspension. I had to abort a continental trip while in France because of it. I have spent about £900 on a variety of replacements of parts at the front end. I think that the vibration is related to engine speed rather than road speed. It is worse at a particular engine speed so it comes and goes as I go through the gears. One of the replacements that was made was the rear engine mounting, the rubber core of which had pulled away from the metal surround. I feel that the trouble might be in the other engine mountings. The left front seems OK but maybe it is 'shot' underneath where the action is.

Reply to
Jim Wishart

Run and rev the engine in neutral. If she still shakes then the problem is confinded to the engine itself and/or mounts and the drive train can be eliminated. If it only happens when mobile then drive train (including wheels) and suspension come into play.

Reply to
Nick /////

Thanks Nick, I'll try it out, best regards, jim

Reply to
Jim Wishart

Hi Nick//// Thanks again for your help. I was able to get the front right engine mounting from my local Fiat dealer and my mate Eric fitted it. Things are a bit better vibrationwise but there is still some vibration left. Eric says that the front left mounting also needs replacing but unfortunately Fiat don't have it in stock and say that it is unobtainable. They did what they called a 'dealer check' and also tried Peugeot and Citroen without any luck. I am going to the Peugeot dealer this morning to see if they can help. If they don't have it can you suggest any other source? Eric is going to fit the front right drive shaft and joint again on Thursday, with a new replacement part. He reckons that the previous one is faulty. This is the third time this drive shaft has been replaced in the last six months. Is this a record? :o) best regards, jim wishart, northampton.

Reply to
Jim Wishart

I have also Ducato motor home with 1.9TD engine. My car did shake between

60km/h and 80km/h. The reason for this was tyres. One company did change my tyres and they did put wrong tyres below the car (max. pressure was too low). Whan I got right tyres and I did could put the right pressure in to the tyres (in my car 5 bar) the problem was solved.

"Jim Wishart" wrote in news:di7tro$ijn$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

Reply to
Tommy