Marea Clonking Suspension

When I go over bumps in the road in my Marea HLX, I get a nasty sounding clonk from the off-side front suspension, combined with a nasty knock against the floorpan.....

Now, I'm assuming this is a result of the old, original design anti-roll bar.

Bearing this in mind, what do I need to order from my local dealer?

I'm thinking I need the modded roll bar, a set of drop links an the tie bar link things (ie, the shorter links)?

Any idea how much the parts are likely to cost, and how long it takes to do the job? (No, I'm not paying a main dealer to do it)

Reply to
SteveH

I've guessed your car as 2000cc 5 cylinder.

WARNING! The information herein is a GUIDE ONLY. You need to supply chassis number to your Fiat dealer to get correct information.

The ROD is the down link component (2 off), Torsion Bar self explanitory.

Sorry I can't post a picture as size to great for server/isp limit.

I make the cost £14.43 + £14.43 + £86.36 = £115.22 including VAT (as of

06/2004)

I would allow 2 hours for the labour cost at £40 to £50 per hour plus VAT.

Nick /////

51701045 - ROD Availability: - Product orderable

Family: DX01 - VARIOUS-FRAME,AXLE,HUBS,WHEELS AND ENGINE

Macro-family: A Discount code: B

Minimum quantity per package: 1 Unit of measurement: Num

Weight (grams): 330 Listed price: 12.28 GBP

Price including taxes: 14.43 GBP

46513111 - TORSION BAR Availability: - Product orderable

Family: DA33 - TORSION BAR FOR SUSPENSION STABILIZER

Macro-family: D Discount code: B

Minimum quantity per package: 1 Unit of measurement: Num

Weight (grams): 2900 Listed price: 73.50 GBP

Price including taxes: 86.36 GBP

Reply to
Nick /////

Cheers, Nick.

I'll pop over to my local dealer as soon as I get a chance. Luckily my local mechanic only charges £27.50 / hour.... so 2 hours isn't going to break the bank :-)

Seems like I should order direct from Fiat rather than try and save a few quid buying on ebay, though.

(PS: You guessed right. Hugely under-rated cars)

Reply to
SteveH

I've only ever really purchased original Fiat parts from dealers BUT have always ensured a trade discount. Gone are the days of 25% to 30% discounts but a modest 5% to 15% can be obtained for a stock order. Stock orders take several weeks to arrive (worst case). VOR (Vehicle Off Road) order placed before about 3pm will be supplied by midday latest the next day (Monday to Friday). Most delaers get their deliveries by 9am, allow and hour for sorting and by 10am you should be able to collect in 90% of cases.

Also you get fully parts warranty for 12 months on all purchased parts.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////

In message , Nick ///// writes

Nick, when/what was the roll bar mod, do you know which models it applied to?

A recent front suspension clonk on my Marea W/E JTD turned up as suspension arm bushed at the MOT. Non-OEM bush kits were used at 20-odd quid each (two required for each arm), given the additional labour time I think future I will get a new Fiat arm, not much more from shop4parts, and then the ball joint get renewed too. I think the other side is starting to go now.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Just thought.... can it be emailed? - addy in headers is valid.

Cheers

Reply to
SteveH