multipla problem

I`ve got a multipla 1.9jtd , or rather my other half has for the kids. no jokes please, we`ve heard them all !! LOL its really a great fun car, recently we`ve noticed a deterioration in the performance of the car. it used to be quite a fast and nippy car,(believe it or not). There seems to be no guts there anymore, more often than not, in second gear, when pulling away after a turn I can floor the pedal, and theres nothing for a few seconds (3-5) secs, even then it doesn`t take off like it used to. This is not a problem for my wife, as she says she doesn`t need the power, however I feel that running the car when its clearly underperforming, will do more harm than good and will eventually lead to breakdown when we need it most. I daren`t take it to fiat, they wanted £280 for a basic service, they will probably want a leg this time. Incidentally the car has been serviced recently although not by fiat. has anyone got any ideas what might be causing the problem. mike

Reply to
mike

The EGR valve is full of carbon. Had just the same problem with mine. It's quite expensive.........:(

Reply to
Mr. Slow

I'm clutching at straws here because I know very little about diesels.

However I would do some basic checks myself, even though you say it has been regularly serviced.

1) Check the air filter and associated plumbing 2) Check the fuel filter and water drain trap (diesel fuel is hydroscopic and collects water that has to be drained off) 3) Check for any other misplaced items, connectors, leads, tubes etc.

I know this sounds all stupid but the simplest of errors can often lead to the most baffling problems of all problems.

Reply to
Nick Bailey /////

when you say expensive, please enlighten me and ruin my christmas !! :) mike

Reply to
mike

About £150 I think, but mine was done under warranty by the Fiat dealer. I appreciate your reluctance to use main dealers with their misplaced decimal point labour rates, but they really are the best people to fix your car. Couldn't you choose another dealer?

Reply to
Mr. Slow

I shall investigate all leads as to the problem. I hate using main dealers when my brother has full usage of the facilties at a main dealer for nissan, however, they dont really know my car, so I might have to bite the bullet. thanks anyway for all advice. mike

Reply to
mike

I've read somewhere that someone has managed to clean the EGR as well? Whether the fault will reappear quickly after such a repair I don't know. Anyway there is also another good candidate for causing the engine to underperform. That's the so-called airflow mass meter (MAF). This is the sensor located in the air intake. The part itself is very easy to replace (sensor ~250 euros in France). It seems you still would need to take your car to the dealer to to sort out exactly what is the real cause for the car to underperform and let's hope they get it right the first time around.

good luck, Bernt