1980 Trans-am 350 turbo?

Hi there, my dad has a 1980 Trans Am Indy pace car edition that?s all original with the turbo 301 and auto. We were talking about restoring the motor on it and he wanted to do a 350 with the turbo and a manual from a race car and get GM to recognize it as an official car. I couldn?t find any information about a factory trans am with that setup but he tried to contact GM about it in the 80?s and they never replied. Does anyone know any information about a Trans-am from that was used in a race series with a turbocharged 350 and a manual?

Thanks

Giancarlo

Reply to
DeLiCaTa9

No. Never heard of such a car. The only engines available in a Trans Am in

1980 were the Pontiac 301 and Chevrolet 305 for some strict emission and high altitude areas. The Pontiac 350 was long out of production. All of them were backed by an automatic transmission that model year.

GM doesn't care about something they built in 1980. Chances are they don't even have records of it even being made by them anymore.

-Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Smith