02 Explorer - transmission replacement choice

'02 Explorer with 62k miles needs a new transmission. Extended warranty company will pay for a rebuilt and give a 12 mo/12k mile warranty. Or the warranty company will give me the $ toward a new transmission from Ford (carries a 36 mo / 75k mile warranty.) The cost of the new transmission vs the rebuilt is $1000 extra.

Any advice? Should I pay the $1000 out of pocket for the Ford transmission and the Ford guarantee? The extended warranty company (though CarMax) has been vague about where their rebuilt will come from. Ford also guarantees that any transmission issues identified in service bulletins will be addressed in their transmission. I plan to keep the Explorer as long as I possible can.

I've changed my mind about 6 time so far... can you help me make a final decision?

Thank you, Scott

Reply to
skellerinnc

Am I understanding correctly that your warranty company is dictating where you go for repairs and how much they will pay? If so I would question whether it's worth paying an extra $1000 for a transmission warranty. Put the money in the bank and if you need another transmission in 3 or 4 years you'll have the money in the bank to pay for it. If you never need one you'll be $1000 ahead of the game.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yes. Warranty Co. is dictating how much they are willing to pay. Only $2500. For $900 more, I could get the Ford Warranty of now

100,000 miles, rather than the 12,000 warranty from CarMax. I like the idea of no money out of pocket if it's not necessary, but I think I'm going to pay the difference for the peace of mind and the multiyear /mileage warranty.

Thanks.