O/D light flashes, transmission problem 1996 explorer

Hi all - need some help if anyone has had a similar problem

have a 1996 ford explorer - yesterday, without any warning leading, up to it, the O/D light starts flashing, and the truck just won't drive - feels like its in neutral. Turn it off, turn it back on and it goes for 1000 feet the acts like it is in neutral again. Had it in for new tires that day, and that afternoon, appears to have transmission problems. Anyone have this problem (what was it, how much to get fixed???) thanks for your help

jay

Reply to
Jay

I have a 95 Explorer 4X4 and the same problem started last week. For no known reason the OD light started blinking. I attached a scan tool to the computer (you can actually take your truck to AUTO ZONE) and they will scan it for you FREE. Anyway, my code came up as: Code 646 - Incorrect Gear Ratio obtaind for 2nd Gear - Second Gear failure. Code 632 - O/D Cancel switch, Overdrive cancel switch did not change state during KOER. The truck REVs high before shifting into 2nd gear. If you ease OFF the accelerator, it shifts easily into 2nd gear. I'm still inventigating this problem and will post a update as soon as I find an answer. In the meantime, if you disconnect your battery (negative cable) for 2 minutes and then reconnect it, the OD light will reset. If the problem reoccur, the light will start blinking again. Stay tunes for more updates..

Reply to
CecilB