'03 Mirror thingie

Richard Grimes

My wife and I just bought an '03 Explorer XLT this afternoon and will pick it up Saturday morning after they clean and whatever to it.

Quick question: What is the hangie thing behind the rear view mirror? It looks like a small radar dect. but of course I know that is not what it is. The book probably says, but I don't have a book until Sat.

We gave my son the '99XLS for school and for excellent grades. So I guess I'm here to stay on this NG.

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

I know it at least contains the compass brains. What else, I'm not sure of.

Reply to
San Mateo

According to the owners manual, there is a compas sensor mounted on the bottom of the mirror. So that's probably what you're looking at.

Reply to
Donald Roeber

My '03 Explorer also has a sensor on the rear view mirror that automatically puts the mirror in "night" mode when a bright light reflects into it. It has an on/off switch there.

Reply to
Steve Joyce

That "thingie" on the mirror is a light sensor. When you set the lights to automatically come on when darkness falls, that's the sensor that turns on the lights if it is too dark and turns them off again when there is sufficient light.

Reply to
chooch

The sensor for the chromatic mirror is on the front of the rear view mirror, to the right of the on/off button. The compas is behind the rear view mirror, and is about the size of a half of a pack of cigarettes.

Reply to
Donald Roeber