1999 Explorer Transmission

My wife was driving our '99 Explorer, 4wd SUV to town the other day. When she got back she said the OD light had come on. I asked if she had inadvertently pushed the button in, she said no. After shutting off the vehicle and restarting, the light went out.

I took it for a short drive and noticed also that when shifting, it wants to rev a bit before shifting, then instead of a smooth transition, it shifts hard into the next gear. Never did this before, always shifted smoothly. The vehicle has 130,000 km's. When I got back to the house, the OD light was back on again.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks

Allan

Reply to
Allan

There will trouble codes stored. Have them read and post here. May not be enough to diagnose, but much better than blind guessing.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Thanks for that. I'll see if they can read the codes here at the local garage. If they can't, I'll have to take it into town to the Ford dealership next time in.

Thanks

Allan

Happy Traveler wrote:

Reply to
Allan

The Ford dealer will love you. Nothing like charging a $100 diagnostic fee for two minutes of hooking up the scanner. If you go there, at least have them diagnose the problem and quote you the repair. May not cost much more. Or do the same at a tranny shop that you trust.

Anybody with a scanner or even a decent code-reader should be able to pull trouble codes. Some stores, like Autozone do it for free, hoping to sell you parts to solve the problem. If you go that route, make sure to note the exact numeric code, not just what the guy thinks that set it.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Ford Dealer will be my last choice, tranny shop in Saskatoon that I know will be second choice if the locals can't find out what's going on. The local gargae here does have a scanner, or maybe it's a code reader, it's one or the other. Small town garage where everyone knows everyone else and they will tell you exactly what's wrong if they can and not sell you a pile of un-needed parts. They have the handheld scanner/codereader, they used it on my Explorer one other time to determine we had a problem with plugs. Didn't really need the codereader for that though, I coud hear the miss. I'm going to drop in tomorrow.

The vehicle acts somewhat like the way some of my older vehicles had when they did similar things, modulator valve would be plugged or shot, or leaking at the hose. Makes me think that when things warm up tomorrow, I'm going to check any hoses that possibly have come loose or cracked from ice, snow and cold.

Thanks

Allan

Happy Traveler wrote:

Reply to
Allan

Nice to see all these bold statements....

A C-note to hook up the scan tool? Those guys are ballsy.... Why, anyone with nearly 10G tied up in one scan tool would insist on recouping their investment is beyond me... I do free shit every day and do not expect to get paid..... Come on, folks... raise your hands and say "that's me.... that's me...".

Seeing that Ford dealers are held in such low regard, I guess my job here is done....

Have fun with it, folks....

BTW... if anyone has a 99 Explorer with a vacuum modulator from factory, I'll pay top bucks for the faulty one....

Reply to
Jim Warman

See Jim, you can never stop being such a nice and helpful guy, even when you get mad. Thanks for the great service to this group!

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Jim,

Sorry I caused you some grief. I don't regard Ford at the bottom of the pole, I'm just running on a very tight budget right now so any penny saved....

Allan

BTW, thanks for the tip > Nice to see all these bold statements....

Reply to
Allan

Greg Berchin

Bill Rubino

$100 for 2 minutes will recoup his investment in 200 minutes. Then $100 for 2 minutes is pure profit. Poor Poor Ford Dealer. bOo hoo.

Reply to
Bob

Regardless of whether the 10G cost is justified or not, using a full-featured scanner to simply pull out stored DTCs is an overkill. The $200 toy that the boys at Autozone use is just as good for that purpose. Even if they used that toy instead of their 10G machine, the dealership has a large overhead, employs a receptionist, service writer, (hopefully) well trained technicians, cashier, etc, etc; and all of those spend some time with the customer. So it makes sense for them to charge a minimum diagnostic fee, regardless of how tiny the actual job is. But with that in mind, one does not go to a dealership to read DTCs, for the same reason that one does not check into a hospital to have their blood pressure tested.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Happy has a good grasp on it....

You can go to the local parts store and they will scan codes for free.... From there, they will start to sell you parts... and they will keep selling you parts until either the problem goes away, or you run out of money....

Once the customer runs out of money, I get the car and I'm expected to fix it for cheap.... Ain't gonna happen.

If you come to me for a "code scan"... you are taking me away from productive work... (I'm not sitting behind a counter chewing on a glazed donut imagining what the delivery girls ass looks like in a thong"... all

300 pounds of it). When I scan codes, you are looking to access MY intellectual property... something I hold very dear. If it looks like a pattern failure, I will let you know... but you are still taking me away from those things that earn my living... Which means you will become part of what earns my living.

Without trying to blow my own horn, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on "things automotive"... I am paid quite handsomely for this expertise.... My loving bride has grown quite comfortable with this arrangement.... If you want a free "guess", don't disturb me at work. And don't expect me to bring shop tools home....

I can be a mean bastuhd.... One of my greatest joys in life is taking a cocky young fellow that has blindly followed the parts guys recommendations, spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to fail to fix a concern... only to see the cause of the concern the moment I open the hood. What is my intellectual property worth now?

Reply to
Jim Warman