2002 FE XLT (?) Rear Axle Recall?

I own a 2002 FE XLT v8 and for the last year and a half I've had this irritating sound that is this sort of droning effect that occurs at certain speeds..(45-55 it sounds the worst)- if you let up on the gas and back on you *really* notice it.

I took it to a dealer about a year ago and they searched their computers and said "Ford was aware of it but had no fix". They couldn't do anything and that was that.

So about a month ago I had some work done on the car- new brake pads- rotors, etc and the technician actually noticed this sound (without me mentioning it; I had basically given up on that problem) and mentioned it to me. I was aghast that he noticed it as many, many techs in other dealerships never would actually acknowledge this as anything but "road noise"...

So to my surprise this dealership not only knew that they were going to have to replace my rear axle (under warranty) but that they were all ready to set up an appt! (and they'll even give me a rental while its in the shop- for a LONG time).

Apparently this recall (or whatever) is so big that Ford cannot even get enough of these axles to dealerships to get everyone taken care of..So my dealer is telling me 4-6 weeks and "don't call us, we'll call you".

So although its not a dangerous problem (apparently), I can't believe they actually are going to do all of this.

So hats off to Ford on this one...I can think of a lot of horror stories about my car so I'm pretty happy about this one.

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

Thanks for the info, I have explorer 2002 V6 and the same problem and replies from the dealer. Hope I can here of this recall. Can you tell me if you drive at 45-55 mph and shit the gear to Nutral, would the sound still be there? or would vanish? I need this favour from you as this will make me jump on the service advisor at the dealrship. (Your problem is a carbon copy of mine). Cheers M8

Reply to
danjerguy

I'll will do this and let you know and reply back soon.

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

Danjer-

I did the test. If you take your foot off the accelerator the sound stops almost entirely. Also putting it in neutral doesn't do anything. It is louder than normal when you first put your foot on the accelerator again. So it has to do with something spinning up or something when accelerating. Although it does oscillate so I guess that means that it also makes that sound when decelerating.

make sense?

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

Mine has 42,000 miles and I can hear the rear end whining when I'm accelerating too. If it stops when you take your foot off the gas, then it's not the tires. I have driven enough junkers in my lifetime to know when it's the differential and when it's not and this is the differential.

Mark McCoy McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee

MMccoy01

Thanks Dude, Got it to the dealer. They thought they found the Fault. It was some rubber that is loose. They also changed the wheel bearing. They noise is still there, never gone. Guess have to live with it. There is a big chance to change the car to some Japs crap. Thanks again guys, all of you. If you here of any recalls, please let me know. Cheers.

Reply to
danjerguy

It sucks man! Its so obvious yet they can't/won't fix it!!!

Have a good day and good luck with your FE!

Cheers,

-sd

Some Dude

I have a 2003 Explorer EB 4 wheel dr . The dealer replaced my rear end twice for this rear end whine and a clunk noise when I take my foot off the gas. I just returned from a 1700 mile vacation and I had to listen to the same old loud annoying rear end "whine" and clunk. I can not believe this. What a mess !! I cant believe Ford can't fix this thing. Why can't they just put a rear end on mine from a 2004 Explorer? Is Ford still just mass producing these defective vehicles and dumping them on the public. Dealing with my Ford dealer and Ford customer service has been a waste of time. Now I'm over

Reply to
MB

For this type of problem, I feel you get the best information from the guys at

Just join and ask your question in the Ford support forum. See
You may need to register to see this, but I think it wouldbe worth your trouble. Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White