2002 radio removal

My radio with the single CD player decided to not eject the last CD I played. I guess I'll have to remove the radio and try to remove it that way. Can someone tell me how to get the radio out? I poked around a bit, but didn't want to break the surrounding plastic.

Thanks Ken '02 XLS

Reply to
knagy389us

Ken -

Within the last 6 months, someone named Mike, IIRC, posted pictures on his website showing how to do this. Unfortuantely, I can't find the link, and Google Groups search doesn't seem to come up with his post. Perhaps he will see your request and post again.

HOWEVER - before he posted his nice tutorial, I had to remove the radio/6-CD from the dash of my 02 Explorer. I was able to do it quite easily using a PLASTIC (not metal) putty knife with a 1-1/2" wide blade. Simply insert the blade firmly into the seam, halfway up either side of the surround, and pry the surround gently out. The surround is held in place with snap-in fittings, and with gentle pressure they will pop out. As I recall, there are 6 snaps - 4 at the corners, and 2 midway up the sides. By starting at the sides, where the seam is straight, you minimize the chance of nicking the plastic with the corner of the putty knife.

HTH

Bill Jeffrey =====================

knagy389us wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Go to this site.

Sy Cohen

Reply to
syclone

Thanks, I don't have the DIN holes, but I found the correct link on the originating page. It was as Bill said, just pry off the panel ever so carefully.

Reply to
knagy389us