'93 Explorer grinding noise

I hear a grinding noise when I turn the wheel either right or left. First I thought it was worn out ball joints, but I don't hear a clicking sound. It just sounds that a belt is getting tighter when I turn the wheel. Power steering? The wheel is not hard to turn.

Reply to
Zilla

Yes it was the p/s after all. It was low on fluid since the gasket was torn. Luckily I caught it in time.

Reply to
Zilla

Ain't it great when it costs $2 to fix something instead of $2000 ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

I've been using Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in mine. It went from needing fluid added every day to every couple of months. Some day I'll replace the seal... Probably won't help the gasket though.

Reply to
Ulysses

Yep, p/s fluid and an O ring (not gasket) from Ace Hardware did the trick.

Reply to
Zilla