95 Explorer W/ a Code 648

I took my car in because the O/D light was flashing and I was told that it was a 648 code for 4th gear indifferent from ratio?? Anyways, they told me that my 4th gear was starting to slip which would eventually burn out the clutch and that I would need to have my transmission rebuilt.

$1300.00-$2200.00 too much to pay for something like this?

Plus they told me that my Timing Chain Cover is leaking? What is that? And what exactly does it do?

Reply to
hfish77

Any repair of this magnitude deserves a second opinion, in my opinion.

Ummm.... It's the cover that goes over the timing chain.

It covers the timing chain! Seriously, that's pretty much it. Of course, you probably already figured out to some extent (since it's leaking oil) that the chain is in an oil bath and the cover is supposed to seal that from the elements.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Well they rebuilt my transmission. And it drives ok. I am not impressed with the service I received from them but hey what can I expect.

They said that they were able to singe (sp) the bolts to the timing chain cover and its not leaking anymore. So, I am hoping that will fix that for a while.

Thanks for your help! I know it seems pretty ridiculous to ask some of these questions. But I know absolutely nothing about cars or SUV's, etc..

Reply to
hfish77

these questions. But I know absolutely nothing about cars or SUV's, etc..

It does NOT seem ridicules at all. We all do not know something, and the newsgroups are a great way to fill in our knowledge gaps. What was the cost to rebuild it? Who did it (dealer, transmission chain like Aamco, etc.)?

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants