Wheel Fitment

I would like to know if 17X9 wheels (5x4.5 bolt pattern, which is OEM for OEM 15" wheels)would fit a 1998 Ford Explorer 2WD. Although, every manufacturer or distributor that I contacted expressed that since the Firestone "horror" that they cannnot recommend or even say if their tires or wheels will work other than the OEMs. Any help would be most appreciated.

Reply to
Jim

Check out

They claim that a 17x9 with a +23 or

+24mm offset will fit.

They also sell wheel spacers if you need to move the wheels away from suspension components.

BTW, the 17x9 +24mm is the same offset as a 94-2003 Mustang. I found that if you tell the shops you are looking for Mustang wheels or Ranger wheels, they don't think twice.

Stay away from Discount Tire or other large chains: Their lawyers have given them strict instructions to not even speak about Explorer mods.

Reply to
Scott C

I have 17x9.5 Cobra 'R' Mustang wheels on my 96' explorer. They bolt right on. Front tires will rub sway bar and lower A arm at full steering lock. You need wheel spacers or some type of steering limiter to avoid this.

Reply to
gordo

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jim) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I installed 16x7 OEM wheels from an 03 Explorer on my 96. They have too negative of offset and as such rub the sway bar. They also look ridiculous being so far in from the fenders. I'm replacing them (today) with a pair of 16x8 25mm offset aftermarket wheels:

Zam Karmen