97' XLT with 104k hood doesn't open

I pull the hood release and, nothing I figure somthing is loose, but where?

TIA

George

Reply to
Pakgeorge

If the cable wont budge, have someone bump down on the hood while you're pulling the release...... if it's just flopping around, the cable is broken and now we get to see your creative side....

Jim Warman

On the creative side . . . I had a similar problem and couldnt get the hood open. I was able to go in through the front grill, and disassemble the latch mechanism to release the hood, and eventually replace the cable.

Reply to
Joe

As soon as the temp gets above freezing, I'll try to get creative.

Thanks for your rapid response.

George

Reply to
Pakgeorge

Had a similar problem with mine after an engine cleaning (by a detailing shop) caused a bunch of rust and corrosion under the hood. :-(

But anyhow - if you have a corroded latch mechanism, you can go in from the front of the grill and shoot some WD40 or similar into the latch mechanism. You can also take a flashlight and look at the hood release through the grill and manually move the latch release.

My latch started working again fine after the penetrating oil freed things up.

Good Luck!

Dave

Reply to
Just Me

Well it's above freezing so I thought it was time to get "creative". Since I was alone I held the hood release as far forward as it would go. Found the old bumpy road (easy in NY). Went a few yards and the hood popped. Went outside got the lever in the grill went past the detent and it was opened.

Thanks for getting me on the right path.

George

Reply to
Pakgeorge