AC pump problem

97 EXPLORER XLT

My ac compressor keeps clicking on and off. any reason why.

Thanks in advance for the help

Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher

Yeah, cuz that's how it was designed to work ..!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

How often does it cycle? It is designed to cycle a certain amount but if it is cycling rapidly it could signify a low charge or other concerns. As always, AC work is best left to those with the correct tools and knowledge of the systems involved.

Jim Warman

OK, sorry I didn't clarify. It sometimes cycles every couple of seconds and the idle drops almost to the point of stalling. I have no signs as per gauges or lights. A/C works great, heat works great and other than the cycling I have no problems with the vehicle. I have no plans to work on this item myself although I can do anything else with the vehicle I have never had instruction on heating and cooling.

Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher

Cycling that rapidly is a sure sign that something is amiss..... that the AC appears to work as expected leads me to consider a possible high or low side switch problem though one would have to performance test the system. Left unattended to, this concern could lead to early clutch failure and possible compressor damage. If you're not going to have the concern addressed in the very near future, I would suggest disconnecting the two wire connector at the AC clutch to keep from making the job more expensive at a later date.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ok, thanks for the info. I will have it looked at next week, I just didn't want to go in blind.

Thanks again

Searcher 1

Reply to
Searcher