Air Ride suspension question

Saw this mentioned in another thread but thought it best to start afresh... I have a UK spec '98 4.0 SOHC 4X4 which is fitted with a self levelling suspension system. The drivers handbook describes it as an 'Air Ride' system. Anyway, the system does not function at all and my Ford UK dealer has diagnosed failed rubber seals on the rear shocks. I would be very interested to know if the same system is fitted to any US spec Ex's as I am finding it very difficult to find replacement shocks here in the UK and I think Ford UK's price of 350 GBP (approx $650 USD) per pair PLUS labor is a bit extortionate. Maybe I could source a pair in the US and ship them to the UK for much less than that... Any help with tech specs or price comparisons would be welcome.

TIA Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

has the air ride rear shocks for $199.88each. That works out to 218.47 GBP a pair. They will ship outside the USA.

Reply to
Bob Kegel

Execelent reply! I will enquire about shipping costs and report back. It would still be nice to know if the UK spec is the same as the US spec...

Thanks Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

While I'm sure there are differences, I doubt they extend to shock absorbers. Years ago I drove a US spec Volvo in the UK and the shock absorbers worked fine. A bump in the road is a bump in the road.

Reply to
Bob Kegel

I'm not too bothered about the damper rates, I'm more concerned that they might have used different fittings for the airlines or something. As you say, a bump in the road is a bump in the road.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H