bars leak

Is Bars Leak harmful to the engine if used in the radiator? i would like to hear some opinions on this.

thanks ella

Reply to
ej

Yuck - phooey - eeeewwwwwwwww!!!!

This stuff is intended as a temporary repair only. It WILL plug off the heater and it WILL reduce the flow through the radiator. There is a very real chance that it will not plug the leak you are trying to plug.

If you do use the product, once you finally perform a proper repair to the cooling system, the cooling system will require repeat flushings and/or replacement of other components. Of course, it is me who is the bad guy and not the "mechanic in a jar".

Jim Warman

They claim auto manufacturers put it in new cars to seal any possible gasket leaks. I would put it in mine if I had a small leak.

Mark McCoy McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee

MMccoy01

No. GM uses it in all their new cars to reduce warranty claims for tiny leaks.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

It's about as harmful as taking an aspirin during a heart attack. :-)

While the Bars Leak itself isn't harmful, it masks a real problem.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Have used it and solder seal for years and no heaters plugged yet. Used it and liquid glass in a 270 Offy with no problems and many races in the books. Go for it.

R> Is Bars Leak harmful to the engine if used in the radiator?

Reply to
Ron

I drop in 2 of the bars leak tablets after I flush a radiator out, no plugged radiators, or overheats.. I"ve also used the GM tablets too.. never have had a problem..

Reply to
Eric F

Silly me... When I have a car with a leaking radiator I fix it...

Maybe I should get some duck tape for the hoses, and bar's leaks for the rest of the system ??

Oh, yah and a can of "restore" to make up for the worn rings / valves !

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum