Best New Tires?

I put the Cross Terrains on our Expedition, replacing the LTX M/S's that were on it. The highway mileage went from just a tick over 14 to an honest 15 after the change; this on a 3000+ mile road trip in July/August. The Explorer still has the LTX M/S tires on it, and will until they wear out. They also work quite well.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

does anyone know who owns BFG? They used to be a french made tire. But last I heard, they were bought out by Michelin. I would think they would use the same quality rubber, that they but in the michelin name. Hmmm?

Reply to
raticus

Michelin is French owned...too...or also but a lot are made in Canada and south Carolina. still French owned though.

Reply to
Bill V

Reply to
C. E. White

BFG is owned by Michelin (as is Uniroyal), but they are still using the old BFG (and Uniroyal) plants, and people for the most part. Situation is the same as with Firestone and Bridgestone. Bridgestone bought Firestone, but instead of Firestone's quality improving, Bridgestone is going down the toliet as well.

Ed

raticus wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Another vote for the Michelin LTX. Mine went 80,000 miles with plenty of tread left. Foolishly, I decided it was time to replace them before last winter. Switched to the BFG Radial Long Trail T/A to save a few bucks and have regretted it ever since. The wet traction is terrible.

Go with the Michelins (any flavor) and you'll be happy.

Reply to
Jonah

Anybody see the latest issue of "Consumers Report"? It has SUV tire ratings in it. They don't rate the Michelins as well as i would have thought!

I vote for the Michlins, too. I recently purchased a new set of tires for my 2000 limited. It had General-Grabbers on it when I bought it and I hated them ....they were very noisey, and began to cause vibration and shaking...thought a belt was bad...

I got the Sears brand of the LTX M/S....they are the same tire according to Michelin Co. whom I called and talked to about them. They are XC LT4 and so far I am very happy with them. I owned a set of the XCX AT (?) before and loved them too.

But anyhoo I was surprised that the Consumers Reports article was not more in favor of the Michelins... Bill V.

Reply to
Bill V

The regrettable set of Dunlop Radial Rovers I had were based on a very favorable review by Consumers Report. Noisy, vibrated the whole vehicle, just totally unsatisfactory and Dunlop was of no help. With a cooperative tire dealer I pulled them off early and went back to the Firestones that had come on the truck. The best thing about THAT was those were in the 1st batch of recalls and Firestone bought my first set of Michelin LTX tires, which were SO much better I was amazed. I have never trusted the "opinions" of Consumer Reports, but their statisical survey data on repairs and such is useful.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

I just had my new set of tires installed. I went with the Michelin LTX M/S as I wanted and as recommended here. They feel very nice. I paid $514 for a set installed with tax here in TX if anyone wants to know.

Reply to
zoti