Blank Radio/Time Display

Yep! I got the problem with a blank radio and time display that seems to be common on 98+ models. Mine's a 2000 LTD and it happened to me about a month ago or so.

Been looking around and came across

whichoffers a fix to the problem for a fee. Before I pay there, I thought I'dpost here for any suggestions, comments, and experiences others may have hadwith this problem, and the "fix" offer. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Blues

Had mine, '98 EB AWD, replaced four times now for various problems, including the first, blank display :o( I just thank my higher power I purchased a Ford, zero deductible, Platinum ESP.

Steven

Blues wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

The repair has mixed results. It's very simple to do if you know a little bit about PC boards and can re-solder cold solder joints. You've got nothing to lose... try it.

The other alternative is to buy the replacement power supply board. It'll cost you about $80. This is the same fix Fords authorized radio repair shops are making for $200 plus.

The new board is better than the original and includes modifications to prevent the problem.

Reply to
Doug and Lora

Quick fix...get an aftermarket radio! That way you don't have to worry about it going bad again. That's what I did. Good luck.

Reply to
Nate

Reply to
John Shoemaker

I have the same problem on a '98 and it seems to be enough of a problem that several repair shops will fix and return. sounds like a power supply degradation problem. I would like to know for sure as I may take a stab at repairing myself . You can get it done for $100 to $125 at various web sites.

Reply to
Airhead

My display (2000 LTD) was completely off for a few months, following a couple months of sporadic outages. Now I notice that if it is very cold out, the display will come on for a minute or so...just long enough to recheck my bass, treble, balance and fader settings!

anyway, here's a place that advertises $78:

one that adv's $97:
you might try calling some local electronics shops. Here in MN, the best I found was a shop that wanted a little over $200.

rpm

Reply to
Rob

Thanks to all contributors of this thread for the ideas and suggestions. They're appreciated.

Has anyone out there actually attempted the repair themselves? Is there anyone else with experiences in any specific shops? Anyone had any experience shipping to the shops Rob suggests below?

As alway, thanks in advance!

Reply to
Blues

Reply to
Airhead

I sent mine to this shop in Weymouth Mass. Works fine now. Word from the wise; spring for 2nd day air both ways. It gets old driving around with a hole in your dash!

Michael MacMahon

I used the service at

and it worked perfectly. I randomly contacted some people listed on the web site in the "Success Emails" and all were pleased with their results. I figured it was a low risk...saved me over $200!

Reply to
Randy

Thanks for the testimonial...I will definitely give this a shot...as you said...it is a low risk

Reply to
Airhead