Car tires on my '82 F-100???

Wondering why I can't put "car" tires on my truck - it now has

225/75/15's. My friend's @work with trucks say they always get arguments from salesmen to buy more expensive "truck" tires on...this sounds stupid, but there's a difference in price when they tell the Sears etc. people what type vehicle the tires are for. The truck is just to commute 50 miles roundtrip each day on the interstate... this looks like a GREAT newsgroup, and thanks for any help/input! :+) Paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
Reply to
pmbedard

Wondering why I can't put "car" tires on my truck - it now has

225/75/15's. My friend's @work with trucks say they always get arguments from salesmen to buy more expensive "truck" tires on...this sounds stupid, but there's a difference in price when they tell the Sears etc. people what type vehicle the tires are for. The truck is just to commute 50 miles roundtrip each day on the interstate... this looks like a GREAT newsgroup, and thanks for any help/input! :+) Paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
Reply to
pmbedard

Yes, you can put car tires on your truck. Main thing to keep in mind is car tires and truck tires are rated differently for how much load they can carry. Unless you are actually carrying a real load in your truck it's probably not even worth worrying about. If you do carry a load, especially on a regular basis, then you should compare the rated load for the passenger tires to what you will be carrying. The primary difference from what I've read and heard between some truck tires and the equivalent car tires is that the truck tire has an extra layer of rubber to make it harder for air to leak out and as a result they stamp a higher max tire pressure on the side of the tire so it can be rated to carry more load. Sometimes truck tires will have one extra ply, sometimes not. Since I"ve seen many truck tires blow out that were carrying far less then their rated load (almost always Firestones), I'd rather have Michelin car tires then Firestone truck tires on anything I would use.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

You can use car tires on you4r truck, but there are differences... The weight ratings for car tires are usually lower than for truck tires; if all you're doing is commuting, this may not be a problem. Truck tires have stiffer sidewalls; a car tire will handle differently, and will let the truck roll more on turns - not always a good thing on a truck with its higher center of gravity.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Thanks for taking time to clear that up - it was a dumb question posed to me by a fellow worker who is usually bright...now I can buy some Pep Boys tires and feel okay ....Paul

Reply to
pmbedard