clunking 1999 xlt explorer

from front end when i hit even minor bumps i hear a clunking sound from front end-tranny was rebuilt a year ago and i think its because of that i replaced shocks but it seems to get worse any ideas,anything i could tighten or lube or check for wear?, thanks

1999 xlt 111000 milea 4 dr 4wd v6 sohc,thanks
Reply to
hermanmunster

Did this "clunking" start occurring right after the tranny fix? If so, I would look at the trans mounts..

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Reply to
Bob McCloskey

ISTR an issue with a bush or linkage at the bottom of the steering column affecting Explorers circa 1998/99.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Yes, I have the same noise in my 98 and that is what I figure it is - a bushing/joint on the steering rod. I believe Ford upgraded the part but I'm not sure of the exact part number or the procedure to replace it. Do you have any additional DIY info?

Reply to
Al Williams