Code Reader Question

My question is, I was reading about them and it says they will give me a pending code (one that has not yet set a CEL). Does this mean if I have a sensor or component malfunctioning it will let me know which one??? I know a Scanner will tell me everything I need to know but who can afford them.

I am thinking about this one is it a good unit? Equus 3100 OBD II Code Reader Thanks

Reply to
Sonny

Like Jim said, pending codes tell you nothing. They need to be stored in memory and if the computer picks up the same problem after a few scanning cycles, THEN it will trip the CEL. You want to read current Trouble Codes, which will usually give you a fairly good idea what could be going on. Get one that will tell you live data being read from the computer, like O2 sensor values, MAP readings, etc...

I bought the $300 tool from Kragen and keep it handy for such an occasion. I've used it three times, and came in handy each time. Pretty much paid for itself. I've used it to help a buddy with his car as well when a sensor went bad.

Good luck, happy shopping!

r/-Ian

Reply to
IanCT