Emergency (Parking) Brake Light in '99 Explorer

I recently sold my '99 Explorer Limited to a friend. My friend reports that there is no dash light that comes on when the parking brake is engaged.
Frankly, I don't ever remember such a light although the friend reports that it says in the book that there is one. I am wondering about this....since I don't remember it, perhaps it never worked from day 1. Or perhaps it just does not currently work (there was brake work done, including the parking brake calipers, about 8 months ago) and I just don't remember. What's the deal with the parking brake light?