Ford Dealer mishaps

I just can't understand Ford Dealers and the way these guys do business. Ive taken my Ford Explorer XLT 1994 into several dealers, thinking they would provide the best service for a start up problem I was having... engine was cranking over, but for some reason wouldn't start up.... I would fix the problem by begging people to jump start my car in parking lots and such.... I took the SUV into 3 seperate ford dealers, one told me I had an excessive positive on one of the wires, and sent me home in about 15 mins with some new grease on my battery connection points.... days later problem comes back, so I take it back and they tell me that its a-ok, and the service dude is giving me stupid looks, like Im imagining things? Where's the customer service and understanding... to make a long story short, by the time I reached the 3rd dealer, I had my battery replaced, my wires replaced, and the 3rd dealer's telling me that it;s probably some type of crank sensor I need replacing for 250 bucks!!!

Luckily, I ran into a buddy who took a look, and told me that its best to locate the problem one step at a time, rather than taking it to unscrupulous Ford Dealers who haphazardly locate things and attempt to fix them oon a basic 'whim.' I guess Ford Dealers don't give a &$%# about nothing, cause I know for a fact manufacturers and dealers like Honda make sure the problem is diagnosed, locate it and fix it, moving from one possible problem to the next, until the problem is discovered.... fast and effectively....they'll refund your money or add it to the cost of the real problem if it wasn't the initial diagnosis that worked out.... Ford just charges you, even if they've made the mistake.... its like going to a doctor, who rips out your kidneys, says sorry about the misdiagnosis, and now we gotta rip out your heart, while you sit their with the bills.

These FOrd dummies just tow you around the yard, make you spend needless cash, until the problem is finally found on a whim.... IM pissed and I got screwed and I advise everyone who owns a ford to watch out cause they're worse than the 50 dollar garage down the road.

Problem? my battery wasn't grounding out correctly... buddy scrapped some of the rust off my ground wire, and ever since its cranking over wonderfully......

Not that Im saying that this was the source to the problem, but this experience tells me that Ford compared to other car dealers that I deal with (Own a honda) is crap service. 3 for 3

Reply to
TruePercula

Personal opinion: now that he truck is out of warranty, don't use the dealer for service. It's expensive, and he has no lock on decent techs. Find an independant shop you can trust, and use it. How to find one? Ask your friends and neighbors. Will he always be right? No. But stick with him, let him do his job. You'll be surprised at how well he will take care of a good customer.

Reply to
bill

Well, I don't know where you work or what you do for a living but I'm fairly sure that someone in a position similar to yours has given me substandard service at one time or another....... I could slap some paint around with a pretty broad brush.

Again. we see one side of the story. I'm not defending anyone here, but there's too much that I don't see to the story. I can see your frustration and I can understand it.... but then out comes that big ol' paintbrush and you make short work of your credibility.

A word of advice..... be sure that the foot you're pissing on today isn't attached to the ass you'll be kissing tomorrow.

-- Jim Warman Who works at a shop where we fix things... snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

unscrupulous

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
j_bruce

I think Jim is right.

But (and there is always a 'but') like I said its a crap shoot, meaning its pure chance - do you live near the guys who care? If not, you're screwed. You cannot put it just down to dealerships and their staff and recruitment (and retention) policies. I would bet a Mid-West small town would be better than an Eastern big city because the guy knows he's going to live near the customer he's going to screw up - or as Jim says, who's feet is going to piss on.

There is no answer (buy only new cars, keep them 1 year?) if you live in the city, but it helps to vent!

Jethro

98 Exploder XLT 112,000 94 Ranger 125,000 94 Econoline Custom 135,000

Reply to
Don't Hit Reply

from / Richard

I know this doesn't help you now. What I've done is bought the last 4 trucks from the same place and same salesman. A.. '91 XLT Explorer, 99 XLS Explorer, '01 SuperCrew, and '03 XLT Explorer. Granted, I live in a small town and being self employed my banker gave me a piece of advice "stick with a place so they know you" , yes he was talking about banks and such but it applies to car dealerships also. I rarely talk to the service guys at all unless they call me up, I just tell the salesperson (the same one that I bought all trucks from and will buy my daughter's from also). He makes sure things get done with little or no prompting from me. My Supercrew had a thunk from the rearend and the whole service dept. (plus dealership owner) was outside after hours figuring it out. The point is (in my business also) the regular, consistent, calm customer gets all of the breaks and the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes bad things happen but it is to their advantage to work things out fairly because they do want you back!

/Richard

unscrupulous

Reply to
Debbie Grimes