2002 Acura RL Check Engine Light with P1456 code

I have a 2002 RL with 130k miles. Just recently the check engine light has started to illuminate. I had Autozone read the obd code which turned out to be P1456 - Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (Fuel Tank System)

Doing some research, I found that this code is usually caused by a loose gas cap. The cap that is on there is the original OEM cap. I retightened the cap until I heard 3+ clicks. I pulled the radio fuse and the light went out. My wife drove the car three more times and now the light is back on. What could be causing this to occur? The car doesn't appear to be suffering any performance or MPG loss. I have a replacement OEM cap on order just in case the cap itself is bad. I'm not sure about the chances of that being the case. The only other thing I could think of is that I've read about early 2000 model Hondas/ Acuras having bad threads on the fuel filler neck which could cause the EVAP system to leak. Here

a TSB for CRVs/S2000 that have the problem. I couldn't find a TSBspecific to Acura or the RL but I wouldn't be surprised if it applied.Has anybody ever encountered this on the RL?

Reply to
joshbilsky

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

There is one. 04-001.

Your car has this problem.

An excerpt from the TSB: SYMPTOM: The fuel fill cap is binding and, if not tightened fully, it may cause the MIL to come on and DTC P1456 (EVAP control system leakage, fuel tank system) to set.

PROBABLE CAUSE: The threads in the fuel fill pipe bind on the fuel fill cap.

CORRECTIVE ACTION: Replace the fuel fill pipe, and do an EVAP system function test with the HDS.

PARTS INFORMATION: Fuel Fill Pipe:

2002-04 3.5 RL: P/N 17660-SZ3-A50

See your freindly local dealer with this info.

If, however, the repair has already been performed, the fuel cap's vapor seal may be damaged. If so, replace the cap (with another OEM). And don't drop it any more.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the quick response. Is there any way to obviously tell if the cap is not sealing properly? I don't feel the cap "binding" when I put it back on. Also, is there any way to identify if the filler neck has been replaced already?

The OEM cap should be here today or Monday. I'll try that first then reset the light. If it doesn't work, I'll call the dealer with the TSB info you provided and see what they can do.

Reply to
joshbilsky

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1189190077.146238.282340@

57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

Unfortunately, no, there is not.

"Sealing" is a term that is far more strictly defined now than it was even ten years ago. These days even the very tiniest of air leaks will set an error code. Don't blame Honda, blame your federal EPA.

You won't. It's not a "feel" thing, but an "effect" thing.

Unless you pull everything apart, it appears there's no way to tell other than asking your dealer. He *will* know from his central database..

With some TSB repairs they have the tech center-punch a mark above a certain VIN character on the firewall, but not for this one.

Good luck. Please let me know how it goes.

Reply to
Tegger

Just to let you know, I replaced the original cap with a new OEM cap, and the light has not come on since (knock on wood) so I'm hoping this fixed the problem. Thank you for your help.

Reply to
joshbilsky

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1191166784.543930.65160@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Hope it fixed the problem!

One more point: /Never/ drop the gas cap! Dropping the cap can damage the vapor seal mechanism.

Reply to
Tegger