Help - '91 4x4 shift motor install

Hi,

I installed a new (rebuilt) electric shift motor on the transfer case. It still won't work. The module in back does click when I push the dash button. Is it possible that I need to adjust the sensor position on the motor by loosening the three screws and rotating the back plate on the gear housing? Perhaps the rebuilt motor needs to be set up to match this particular transfer case shaft position?

Any help?

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
michael

I've had two of them out ('91 and '92) but I never touched the 3 screws you mentioned. Did you try pushing the 4WD button and then removing the servo motor and looking at the position of the transfer case? As you are no doubt aware it is marked for 2WD, 4H, and 4L. Did you try manually turning it to verify that your 4WD does indeed work?

Both of my motors were getting stuck at the worm gear. I took them apart and sprayed them with WD40 and have had no problems since. On at least one of them you can push the motor brushes in and hook the brush wire into a little groove to facilitate reassembly, and use a small screwdriver or whatever to lift the wire back out of the groove once you have the brushes in position.

Reply to
Ulysses

Agree with Ulysses. It is far more likely that either the motor is not actually turning or the shift shaft is gummed up. What I observed when I had my motor off a few days ago is that the shift shaft position is not really very critical at all for each of the 3 selectable positions. I don't think you have an encoder alighment problem.

Professor3700