Jeff Singleton's Site?

Is Jeff Singleton's site still there? I went to it about a month ago, but now I'm getting a "403 access forbidden error" The url that I bookmarked and always used to work is

Thanx

Reply to
Twano

Looks like it is gone. IIRC Jeff was at school (notice the domain was umd.edu). I guess if he left the school the site was taken down.

Charlie

Reply to
CharlieB

Ohmygod! :O(

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I contacted UMD about it - he's left the University, but they said his email was still being forwarded so I sent him an email on Dec 13th asking about it. I have not received a reply. I am willing to put it up on a web server here so it would still be available.

If you want to try sending him an email too, the address is snipped-for-privacy@glue.umd.edu.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

I had a feeling that this may have been the case. His site was one of the best sources of Explorer info. I know it saved me alot of money and headaches. It be great if Jeff could be gotten ahold of and was willing to let someone host the site. Hopefully he had all the files backed up somewhere.

Twano

Reply to
Twano

I'm trying to get ahold of him. If I don't hear from him soon I may try asking UMD for a copy of that part of his web stuff. I doubt they'll do it without his permission though.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Hi Mike--

I noticed this about Jeff's website a few days ago too. I have a lot of the original stuff in archives somewhere, including the whole mailinglist file stuff that preceeded this usenet group. There's a big gap in my archives from about 1996 to present, but google has all that available now on line. Don't really know what I would do with it all, but it's here someplace on CD's.

Note that Jeff's website had not been updated in over a year, maybe two. Jeff's spare time was spent doing some grey-area stuff for the governement last time we swapped e-mail. He kept the school account since it was free to him, but he hasn't been on staff at UMD for quite a while.

And for those who are interested in some other things...

My '92 XLT is about to move on to its next life. 192k, still on the originall engine (runs fine) and the original trans (getting tired) but still gets around just fine. Replacement will probably be a Lex RX-330 or something else from the ultra-reliable Toyota family. Still have the 928 and drive that as often as I can get away with it. Need a 4-pass ride that's better for hauling upscale clients. That's pretty much the task that the Explorer filled for a lot of years, BTW.

Cheers, and happy holiday wishes to all!

dr bob

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) wrote:

Reply to
dr bob

My Explorer moved on last weekend. I now have a Honda Pilot. Didn't get much for the Explorer in trade-in - $1000. It was a 94 with 132k miles, pretty good condition, but it had an oil leak (rear main seal more than likely) that I did not want to deal with, and trying to sell it myself probably would not have netted much more with the leak. It needed some other things done as well, and it wasn't worth it to me to spend the money to fix it up.

Even though I don't have an Explorer any more, I'm still willing to put up Jeff's stuff if we can get a copy. I used that stuff more than once to repair my Explorer...

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Mike, Watch your email for an offer to get what is probably most of the Singleton files.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Thanks!

Our campus is closed next week, so I'll have the files up sometime the first week of January.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

My 92 only has 71,000 and is still pretty much showroom new. Not having the stuff in Jeff's site will be a big loss!! I haven't even started doing much work on mine.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

The diskette is made and in an envelope.

I am not going near a post office this week.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha...good one Bob! Oh what a feeliong. Seriously, what are you going to relly buy?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hi, Rick Horwitz here from "Serious Explorations"

Bob, it's been a long time... My first Ford Explorer internet experiences came from your mailing list :) It is your list and Jeff's site that led me to create my Ford Explorer enthusiast websites.

I too noticed that Jeff wasn't updating his site for some time. I made a few donations to his PayPal account over the past couple years and never recieved acknowledgement from him.

Thinking that Jeff might have lost interest I copied all of his pages to my 'puter. Now comes the dilemma... Do I put all of the info back online and give credit to Jeff and the original contributers? Legally I suppose I could do it until I recieve a cease and decist order. Ethically, well... I feel it would be for the benefit of the Ford Explorer enthusiast community.

What do you folks think??

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
ab7fh

I put up a copy that Charles Bress had saved up at

The update date mentioned in the main page is April 2001. If you have newer stuff then I'd suggest either putting it up yourself (and I'll change mine to point to yours) or send me the files and I'll update what I have.

I left the pages as they were except for changing some links to match my web server setup and putting at note at the begining of the main page explaining the situation. Jeff and the original contributers should always get credit where credit is due.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Your site is likely to be much more active so it would seem logical to mirror it there or at least link to where it's at now.

Reply to
First Source