Kelly Tires

A local tire store is advertising some Kelly tires at an attractive price. Has anyone used these on their Ford Explorer? Mine is a 2000 XLT 4 door 4x4.

Reply to
rvfulltime

Completely uncalled for response coming right up....

I head straight for the Michelin LTX M/S.... call me old fashioned, if you like.... I wont mess with my reciupe for ribs... and I wont mess with my recipe for tires...

Sorry... couldn't resist...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I agree with Jim, can't go wrong with the Michelin LTX M/S, or the Cross Terrains for that matter. I've heard of Kelly, but not much more than that.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
Big Shoe

I am on my second set of Kelly Safari tires. No problems with them, and they seem to wear well. Also have Kelly's on my wifes Buick.

John Normile

Reply to
Camperken

I know that Michelin LTX is a good tire. I wasn't asking about them.

I don't expect to own this vehicle for more that 2 years or 15,000 miles from now. Spending an extra $120 might not be worth it.

Reply to
rvfulltime

Like I said, I couldn't resist.... FWIW, when I spend money, I usually just go for the best I can get... I think I'm worth it.... There are lots of tires cheaper than the Michelins.... I just don't really consider them, that's all... no matter your choice, I hope they're what you wanted...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I've had Kelly's before and they were fine tires. About the only tires I've ever had that were crap were firestones. Michelins are good but pricey and I only buy them because I plan on keeping the vehicle. You might also check and see if there are any Kuhmo (might have misspelled it) tires in your area, they are usually very good tires at a very reasonable price. Of the three sets of tires that have been on my 99Mustang GT, the Kumho's are the best by far.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I had the old Firestone Wilderness AT tire on my 1991 Explorer for

70,000 miles and on my 2000 Explorer until Ford swapped them out for Goodyear Wranglers. I was very happy with the Firestones and would put them back on if I could. The Goodyear Wranglers are terrible. The cupping is bad and yes the dealer claims the front end is aligned correctly. The cupping is so bad that I need to buy new tires even though they have low miles.
Reply to
rvfulltime

Had a set of 33x12.5 Kelly Safari RTV's on a Wrangler a while back. Good, tough tires. Quiet ride despite large size and aggresive tread pattern. Never left me stranded, even at 10psi on extremely rugged terrain.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I had the same Firestones on my 92. They vibrated like they were square after the first 10K miles. By 30K I couldn't take it anymore and put Michelin's on. It was like driving a different truck. Smooth and quiet. With the firestones no matter how many times I had them balanced and no matter who did the wheel alignments the front end shook, sometimes so badly you'd think the tires were going to fall off, and this was at speeds as low as 50 mph. With the Michelins I could drive the very same roads at 75 mph with no vibration or shaking at all. One work truck with E rated Firestones SteelTex tires blew out 3 of the 4 tires in less then 10 K miles. I will never ever buy another firestone tire as long as I live.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

i think with firestone, badyear, and others, "you pays your money, you takes your chances".

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

"rvfulltime" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... A local tire store is advertising some Kelly tires at an attractive price. Has anyone used these on their Ford Explorer? Mine is a 2000 XLT 4 door 4x4.

Reply to
oklaman