Location of Remote Door Lock Receiver on '97?

I just bought a '97 Exploder from a dealer and it didn't come with remotes to unlock the doors. It has cruise control and power windows and door locks and such so I suspect it may have it in there somewhere, but where do I look? On my '92 it was inside the kickplate on the passenger side in the front. I did a google search and all I found was speculation as to where it might be. Someone said back with the jack but I didn't see anything that looked like a receiver.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Fred 2

If it's like the later models you don't need to get to the "box". There is a procedure you go thru with turning the key on and off and I forget what else that puts the system in "learn mode" and then you just press the button on any suitable Ford Remote and it learns it. It will do 4+ remotes I think. Your's may be different but that's what I did on my 99 and 01 Mustangs. I did a google search to track down the exact procedure.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks. The owner's handbook explains the procedure but first I just want to determine if it's in there before buying the remotes. It it's not in there then I need to get the whole kit (or just use the key in the doorlock ;-)

It has the feature where if you turn the key again within a few seconds it will unlock all the doors (from the driver door that is) so that also makes me think it might be in there.

Reply to
Ulysses

numeric characters.

What I have is a black box next to the rear window washer reservoir that has about 20 wires going into it. It does not say RAP on it and I do not have the keyless entry keypad on the door so I was not surprised not to see the 5 digit code you mentioned. I do not see any other modules etc in jack's home. Sound like I don't have one?

Reply to
Ulysses

If you cycle the ignition key an X amount of times the doorlocks will cycle open/close to confirm learn mode That confirms if you have remote keyless entry or not.

Reply to
johanb

It's further forward than the black box you refer to, it's almost out of sigiht. It's gray in color about 4" by 6" by 1" and one of the wires coming out of is is a coax cable.

Sounds like you don't have the factory installed unit, the factory unit had a keypad on the door and, and comes two remotes, and the RAP as I described.

The factory installed system is keyless entry by remote or the keypad, and an anti-theft system.

Reply to
Fred 2

Aha. Thanks. I'll try that.

Reply to