Speedo cable & 4WD Knocking noise

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 88 YJ after only owning an 04 TJ...whole new can'o'worms. First the speedo cable needs replacing...where does the cable run to? Transmission or transfer case?

Second, driving in 2wd is fine but when I switch to 4H or 4L I get a loud knocking noise. Should I start by replacing the fluid, or would this be pointless and I am looking at a much larger problem?

Thanks,

Adam

Reply to
General Pathology

Speedometer cable goes to the driver's side of the transfer case. It's pretty hard to miss, should be pretty simple to replace.

Is the Jeep mov> Hey Guys,

Reply to
Micah

I recommend buying at least the Haynes Manual for this vehicle. A loud knocking noise in 4wd could be in the vacuum disconnect in the passenger's side front axle, front differential or transfer case. Replacing the fluid isn't going to fix it. The TC doesn't appear to be too hard to work on. The front wheel drive is accomplished by means of a chain, which could have a lot of slop in it, and could make noise in that case.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for your suggestions...I will keep you posted...

I st> Speedometer cable goes to the driver's side of the transfer case. It's

Reply to
General Pathology

I'd start by checking the U-joints in the front drive line, and the tranny mount. On the earlier CJs, if the tranny mount parted it allowed the cases to slide far enough to the right that the front drive shaft yoke would whack the floor pan.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

So that's why they moved the front drive shaft to the driver's side. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Your t-case is a 'shift on the fly' one for 4 high. You can shift into and out of 4 high at any legal speed. I treat it just like any other shift in my Jeeps. When I see a snowy patch coming on the highway, I shift, then when I see clear again I shift back to 2 wheel drive. I also find 4x4 is nasty when turning left at a slushy intersection because one front wheel has to scuff so it gets up on top and wants to go straight so I shift to 2 wheel drive for that, then back to 4x4 as I come out of the turn.

Your 4 low can only be shifted when either stopped or rolling along at 2 mph or so. Most like to be moving slowly for the best shift, but they pretty much always clunk a bit.

The knocking in 4x4 is not a good thing. I would be checking the 5 front u-joints out for a bad one. The driveshaft has 3 and there are one at each axle end.

If you have a bad engine mount, the engine can slide over and the front Yoke can hit the exhaust making a good knock or grind. The driver's side one seems to go first.

Your front axle locks via a vacuum motor when you shift to 4x4. If this is leaky, it might not allow a front lock which can be noisy.

The speedo cable goes into the back side of the t-case.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks Mike,

Your help was very useful and much appreciated!

Adam

Reply to
General Pathology