1991 Explorer How do I remove the Window Lift Motor

1991 Explorer. How do I remove the Window Lift Motor from the right side (driver's door)? I have removed the door panel, the speaker and one nut that appear to holding the lift motor in place. There are three rivets protruding on the door panel. Do I need to remove all three? I have purchase a gear kit to put on the lift motor but not sure how to proceed from this point. I appreciate any advice. Respectfully Lou
Reply to
Luis Guzman

in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Luis Guzman at snipped-for-privacy@access4less.net wrote on 10/14/03 5:55 PM:

I have an 89 Bronco II. The doors should be very similar. I have not yet done this myself on my daily driver, but I did remove a window motor from an old parts Bronco II. I ruined that door to get it out since it was faster and the door was no good anyways. My observations, as well as my Haynes repair manual, say that the power window motors are held in with 3 bolts. To access at least one of them you have to drill an access hole thru the door to insert a nut driver thru. I now know where to drill that hole because I tore up the old parts truck door, but if I hadn't it would be a bit more difficult to tell. However, the Haynes manual says there is a dimple in the metal where you need to drill. Seems kind of silly to have to be drilling holes in the inside of the door just to swap a window motor we KNOW will fail someday. If you already have a replacement motor, look to see how the bolts are arranged and this will help you figure out how it is mounted inside the door. Good luck.

Reply to
Jason Carter

in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Luis Guzman at snipped-for-privacy@access4less.net wrote on 10/14/03 5:55 PM:

I also forgot to mention you might want to check

in the "Interiors forum" and see if someone there can help you more. Lots of knowledgeable Ford Ranger, Bronco II, and Explorer owners are there.

Reply to
Jason Carter