1998 Contour temp gauge

Hi all,

I have a '98 Contour with a temp gauge that works intermittently, but most of the time not working. Also the A/C doesn't work. I believe they both may be a result of the same problem but don't know for sure. Any ideas what could be causing the problem, or what to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance,

ZIB

Reply to
zib

gp to

and ask the same question and you will get some answers from people with maybe the same problem who fixed it... year, engine size, automatic, standard trans. etc.. put down as much info as possible on the vehicle...

Reply to
jim

Check the sensor connection at the wiring harness for possible corrosion causing an intermittent gauge. When the gauge DOES work, does your A/C as well?

In some newer model vehicles, the A/C will shut off if the engine gets too hot. Same could apply in your case if the computer doesn't know the engine temp at all, and keeps the A/C off just in case the engine temp was critical and it didn't know it.

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

I have an 96 Contour that had the temp sensor wires break off (got a new harness for free due to recall) and my A/C quit working because the 'puter was thinking the coolant was -40 degrees and cuts off the compressor. May be the same thing?

Reply to
Sans Nom